Windows 8, Tablets Driving Growth for Chip Industry in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Now that these Thailand based companies have spent all their extra money they fleeced from us with hard drive prices on large quantities of sandbags, it's about time they got back to pumping out large quantities of cheap, high quality tech
Stack it high and sell it cheap, we need something to kickstart this recession and buying techie shiney things sound like a good idea

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
These "researchers" don't seem to have a good sense of what to expect from Win8. Every other week it seems like one is saying Win8 will bomb, and another one says it's going "save" the PC industry. Why can't they just admit they don't really know? Anyway, what I think can be said with some confidence, is that unless macroeconomic factors improve worldwide, any potential any sector has for growth will be diminished. The average person just does not have enough money or confidence that they will still be economically secure even six months from now to just jump at everything that is being thrown out by companies.

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I think for instance that the hard drives manufacturers are over-inflating the prices of hard drives. If the sales of tablets are up, who wants all these hard drives?

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]ceh4702[/nom]I think for instance that the hard drives manufacturers are over-inflating the prices of hard drives. If the sales of tablets are up, who wants all these hard drives?[/citation]

Upgrades....
I just upgraded several 500GB internals to 2TBs.
And they will fill up fast too... :)
Who will have the first 10TB drive ?

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Well obviously, more tablets + phones based on win 8 (in addition to all the stuff that exists) will mean more chip sales. For desktops, however, it's a very generalized statement. New computers with windows 8 will mean new chips. replace windows 8 with any other OS and the statement still stands.

There may be growth, but the issue is that tablet, smartphone and other embedded chips don't command the same prices a full-fledged desktop chips do. So even when sales grow, profits don't grow proportionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.