Windows 8 to Focus on Faster Boot Times, Logins

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

i very hope MS will deliver properly it & not some half baked product

G

do we really want our PC's to have an "appliance feel" though? Im all for faster boot up but not if it means I have to treat my PC like a toaster... one button to control them all.

I also hope you can turn off the facial recognition stuff too... knowing microsoft they will cooperate with the government and datamine your facial details and if you download music or movies have you arrested anywhere in the world (and hey if you have an Iphone they'll know exactly where you are!)

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
ASUS express gate is fantastic for quick boots from cold. Something like that where you can choose what to boot up first and get on with things while windows boots up everything else. Personally I don't like leaving my PC plugged in due to power surges in the area so never use standby. Already lost quite a few electronics to them.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
awestome! windows takes 3 seconds to boot, too bad the workstation BIOS that i have takes about 90 seconds to get to the point where windows can take over and whiz into action....

G

Looking forward to it. It seems like MS is finally getting it. To make the OS user-centric, because, after all, it's all about the experience.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Only time will tell but I agree with one of the above statements that POST is longer than the Windows startup.
On my system I press the power button and sit for an excruciating 30 seconds whilst the POST kicks in, then after the iceage comes and goes the Windows bootup is a speedy 10 seconds.
So, seeing as the POST is nothing to do with the version of Windows you have I have a 10 second boot, if they can halve that I will be a happy bunny.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]jgutz2006[/nom]awestome! windows takes 3 seconds to boot, too bad the workstation BIOS that i have takes about 90 seconds to get to the point where windows can take over and whiz into action....[/citation]

My experience exactly... it's the bios slowing me down now. My laptop, with vista, boots up way faster, because it's bios is just a lot quicker to get to the windows boot, even though vista loads slightly slower than my win 7 on my main pc

Hey why not make an OS that is retro-compatible with older software and secure on the internet (for real). Or a software that when you install programs, when the installation bar status get to 100% , the program would really be installed.... not in 1-2 min after. An Os where instead of an hourglass beside the mouse arrow you make a blue disk that spins and spins and spins and you don't have a clue why ?

LOL so many other things they could do to better OS....

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Win 7 boot times arent bad at all unless you try to boot in on a substandard computer limited by io-system/cpu and or memory. Bios post times is one of the purchase factors when considering a MB, i just hope the MB makers start to realise that they can add value to their boards.

Still recall the older bioses who didn't force autodetect on a zillion different devices like the ones today, you could disable the auto detection in most cases and "scan" them manualy once and in return get post time almost halved. Fewer and fewer bioses actually support this behavior sadly!

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
I hope that they finally get rid of using a FAT for partitions and go with a DB like they had talked about doing with Vista. HDs and SSDs are beyond the point now where a FAT makes little sense to use for locating information on the drive.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Their OS will not get faster, it will get slower like it always has. They have been known for bloatware for decades now, and it's not going to change.

They don't have the programming skill to do it. So, they use smoke and mirrors to make things "appear" faster, when they're slower.

In fact, most people think Windows 7 is faster than the dreadfully slow Vista. It's slower, when benchmarked.

Windows 8 will be slower still. Microsloth will just fool us, because we're stupid, after all, and put the computer in hibernate mode so it seems faster. We don't care at all that this uses more electricity than powering off the machine, do we? They don't, they don't think we'll notice it enough to realize they are costing us money every month, and will actually like them more for it.

So, yes, we'll like Microsoft more, and have more loyalty to them for not having the programming talent to make the operating system boot fast enough, without using constant electricity refreshing memory.

Thanks!

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Another new development (which we assume won't be used in conjunction with the facial login) is user accounts being stored in the cloud. This could potentially mean that a user's bookmarks and Windows settings could be stored remotely at Microsoft and could be consistent even on other people's computers. Right now the data demands would be too high to have all user data stored in the cloud, but this could be the first step in Microsoft's desire to make Windows more user-centric and less machine-centric.

This is a first step to making everything subscription based.
Continuous stream of money, just like MMO games.
This is highly unethical for basic platforms and essential software layers.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
what i really want microsoft to do with windows is cut the bloat. i don't want or need useless bells and whistles to run automatically at start up.

also, i want the ability to lock the registry and the boot manager. i dont want a program to be able to set itself to run at startup without my permission, and when it wants to add or change a registry key, i should know about it and have the option to approve or deny the change. by keeping track of the registry keys that programs add/change, windows could delete/undo these during the uninstallation for a clean wipe.

randomizer

Champion
So they're not improving the boot time, because it's not actually booting. It's resuming with an "innovative" logout feature. Sucks if your hardware doesn't properly support hibernation, and certainly sucks if you have an SSD and alot of RAM. That's going to cause alot of excess writes every time you "shut down."

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Lol I hope you are just trolling.

[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]Their OS will not get faster, it will get slower like it always has. They have been known for bloatware for decades now, and it's not going to change.They don't have the programming skill to do it. So, they use smoke and mirrors to make things "appear" faster, when they're slower.In fact, most people think Windows 7 is faster than the dreadfully slow Vista. It's slower, when benchmarked.Windows 8 will be slower still.[/citation]

Windows 7 IS faster than Vista, and a lot more stable. And what do you mean smoke and mirrors? There are some reasons that make Windows easier to use and more portable and backwards compatible which also slow down performance. I hope that Windows drops the layers of compatibility for a cleaner slate and potentially faster and lighterweight operating system.

[citation] Microsloth will just fool us, because we're stupid, after all, and put the computer in hibernate mode so it seems faster. We don't care at all that this uses more electricity than powering off the machine, do we? They don't, they don't think we'll notice it enough to realize they are costing us money every month, and will actually like them more for it. So, yes, we'll like Microsoft more, and have more loyalty to them for not having the programming talent to make the operating system boot fast enough, without using constant electricity refreshing memory. Thanks![/citation]

I believe you have hibernate-to-ram (aka sleeping) and hibernate-to-disk confused. Microsoft isn't fooling anyone. If you store data in volatile memory that needs to be refreshed to maintain charge, then you have to use power... Not even whatever OS you think is better can change the hardware functionallity. (I hope you are a troll and really did know that DDR memory needs to be refreshed, windoze or not.)

weegee64

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
For me, the worst thing about Windows is how it manages applications. On Mac and Linux, I can easily install and uninstall from either the applications folder, or the package manager. With Windows, I have to make sure my registry isn't messed up, and I can't move the application files around and still have them work. Some Windows programs are already working as just one file that I can move around, so it definitely is not impossible to do on Windows.

yzfr1guy

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
[citation][nom]balister[/nom]I hope that they finally get rid of using a FAT for partitions and go with a DB like they had talked about doing with Vista.[/citation]
+1 The promise from Micro$haft was to go with a system based on their SQL.

randomizer

Champion
Some people do still use FAT32, but mostly out of ignorance. The primary advantage with FAT16 and FAT32 is that they are compatible with basically every operating system known to man. NTFS is generally slower on flash drives than FAT32 as well (due to journaling write overhead), with exFAT taking the lead (but being compatible with almost nothing but Vista and Win 7). Obviously NTFS or newer is needed to support >4GB flash drives anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.