Windows 8 to Tell Microsoft About Everything You Install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I do recall there is an open source software that uses other computers to assist in encrypting and transferring messages. The more computers that are connected to the encryption network, the harder it is to trace the origin or the receiver of the message. However, the key feature is that it allows the computers to be anonymous.

Windows 8 would be a huge threat to that encrypting software.

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Over my dead body those fockers will know what i install....its incredible the amount of violations against our privacy that some companies commit

G

Time to put that tin foil hat on, eh, Kobeissi? Windows 8 is evil!

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Oh F*UNK. That's it, Micro$oft. You're done if you'll do that. You're done. Yes. YOU'RE DONE.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I do recall there is an open source software that uses other computers to assist in encrypting and transferring messages. The more computers that are connected to the encryption network, the harder it is to trace the origin or the receiver of the message. However, the key feature is that it allows the computers to be anonymous.[/citation]

TOR? :\

spartanmk2

Honorable
May 11, 2012
This would make Dr. Evil angry, and when Dr Evil gets angry, Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset. And when Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset... people DIE!

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
All it's doing is taking a hash and signature and sending to MS for a computer to determine if the file has a hash that's known to be bad. Obviously, there's no way for MS to get the executable from that hash. I'm not worried about it. IE9 has been doing this exact thing since it was released and I could turn off SmartScreen if I wanted but it's a pretty good way to detect trojans (since the hash won't match the expected value).

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Not to mention the AV companies (including MS via the integrated Windows Defender in Win7 and Win8) already get hashes (and the entire file with permission) of executables that they think are strange.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]aicom[/nom]IE9 has been doing this exact thing since it was released.[/citation]

You forgot one major thing:
NO. ONE. USES. IE.
NOBODY.
NEVER.
EVER.

Guess why, huh?

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]You forgot one major thing:NO. ONE. USES. IE.NOBODY.NEVER.EVER.Guess why, huh?[/citation]

It's not because of SmartScreen. FYI, I myself use Chrome.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]aicom[/nom]All it's doing is taking a hash and signature and sending to MS for a computer to determine if the file has a hash that's known to be bad. Obviously, there's no way for MS to get the executable from that hash. I'm not worried about it. IE9 has been doing this exact thing since it was released and I could turn off SmartScreen if I wanted but it's a pretty good way to detect trojans (since the hash won't match the expected value).[/citation]

If I am not mistaken the hash of a program would be the same if it is the same executable. So all M$ has to do is installing various applications on their own computers and voila, they get a list of hash values for each executable.

Or am I missing something here ?

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Maybe I should buy up some retail copies just in case....[/citation]

Yeah...after Windows 8 will get released and majorly fail worldwide, Micro$oft would probably rise price for 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Retail...rise it like Sheriff of Nottingham raised taxes for poor people...

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]aicom[/nom]All it's doing is taking a hash and signature and sending to MS for a computer to determine if the file has a hash that's known to be bad. Obviously, there's no way for MS to get the executable from that hash. I'm not worried about it. IE9 has been doing this exact thing since it was released and I could turn off SmartScreen if I wanted but it's a pretty good way to detect trojans (since the hash won't match the expected value).[/citation]Works perfectly as long as malwre doesn't modify SmartScreen to send back forged hashes.

gravewax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
SSLv2 is disabled on all client communications (even those initiated from a server). The Server OS supported SSLv2 for backwards compatibility only but even then most but the most incompetent admins disable it altogether. basically an article based on someone poor technical knowledge and a whole lot of FUD about not understanding that hashes don't actually send all your private information.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Overblown, alarmist. Lots of security software already does stuff like this, it helps protect users from installing all sorts of garbage or spoofed software.[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Works perfectly as long as malwre doesn't modify SmartScreen to send back forged hashes.[/citation]SmartScreen occurs BEFORE you install something. If it can tamper with SmartScreen, that means it is already running - in other words your computer is already compromised. At that point you're already vulnerable, why bother attacking smartscreen, when you can just open the machine wide and install whatever you want remotely? Silly.

SGTgimpy

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Well any of you that are upset, I hope you haven't been using Steam at all. It been doing this for years. Don't believe me.

Here you go http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Sometimes I think people pull out their tin-foil hats to quick and to often on these kind of things. Also you might want to read what it really says. Tracks "APPS" that are downloaded and installed. That means the apps form the app store, just like Google does and Apple does. So is Microsoft so Evil or are they just following suit?

super d spamalot

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
In this story: Microsoft adds more security to their OS as people have been asking for years. In other news, people scream at Microsoft for adding more security because they fundamentally misunderstand what is actually going on.

Sounds like just another day in the lives of armchair technologists to me. This website has become such tabloid garbage.

SGTgimpy

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Also would like to add. Who gives a crap if they collect it. If your not doing anything illegal so what. If they want to waste their time and money watching me. Then by all means do it and I will make sure I am the most boring person that you ever spy on just to suck up your time and money.

Now if you doing illegal stuff then you really have no room to complain about this.

G

the article is utter BS...... and the mentally challenged believe everything and start complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.