Windows 8 to Use Multi-Cores for Shutdown, Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
It may boot to that screen extremely fast, but I would hardly call that tiled idiocy an OS.
PC's used to be about letting the user control the entire experience and set things up how they wanted both visually and behind the scenes. That was the main attraction over Macs for a lot of people.

Now Micro$oft are just doing all they can to be like Mac and alienating the majority of their customer base.

Well done !

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]plasmastorm[/nom]It may boot to that screen extremely fast, but I would hardly call that tiled idiocy an OS.PC's used to be about letting the user control the entire experience and set things up how they wanted both visually and behind the scenes. That was the main attraction over Macs for a lot of people.Now Micro$oft are just doing all they can to be like Mac and alienating the majority of their customer base.Well done ![/citation]
Im pretty sure you can still make windows 8 look like you want it to. if you dont like it, stick with Win7.

G

I have found the Hibernation process to be unreliable in the past, causing more problems than what it resolves!

I do hope there is the option of turning this process off.

I also do not want the precious space on my SSD taken up for a Hiberfil.sys. Windows 7 boots up plenty fast enough already, faster than the BIOS boot on my Asus Crosshairs IV.

Yes all for speeding up the boot process, but how about more efficient code and less services and processes needed to boot windows. How about loading processes only when they are needed!

officeguy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Between the 32 and 33 second mark there is a glitch. Did it really boot up that fast? I really have no doubts but make a video without glitches so you don't leave people wondering.

amigafan

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
[citation][nom]ravewulf[/nom]And if I want to completely restart the kernel session every once in a while instead of hibernate?[/citation]
"Restart" option does full reboot (just like in all previous Windows versions).

dreamer77dd

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I think the hibernation will be not the same as Windows 7. Yes i never used hibernation either it just took so long to boot up from it like the computer frozen or something. I think customize windows 8 but it not even finished. We will always find away to customize windows.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Sleep and resume a PC enough times and weird things start to happen. You need to be able to restart from scratch.

Also, with newer machines sporting 8 gigs of memory or more, that hibernation file is going to be huge, especially to SSD users. I hope there is a way to turn this feature off for those who want to.

G

@plasmastorm

You can apparently turn off the "Tiled Idiocy".

(Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/152641/Metro-UI-Tweaker-Make-Windows-8-Look-Like-Windows-7.html)

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
First thing i do is to disable hibernation. It is useless for desktops and only does harm especially if you overclock your machine. Secondly, don't ever use Sleep. It is is useless for desktops. Laptops will benefit from this but again if you have SSD in your laptop, hibernation will wear that disk like there is no tomorrow. I am interested in MS getting rid of idea called Metro!

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Windows 8 will do that in a way that Windows 7 doesn’t – in the turning on and off of your computer.
Oh boy that will make me switch, NOT.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Personally I am not worried by startup times as long as my next motherboard has UEFI instead of my current crappy old BIOS.

When I cold boot at the moment at spends 25 seconds getting past the BIOS, then 5 seconds booting into Windows.

I don't see the OS being a problem with that kind of performance, it is all down to the crappy BIOS, but if upgrading to UEFI shortens that amount then dropping the extra 5 seconds by an extra 1 or 2 seconds will always be appreciated.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]First thing i do is to disable hibernation. It is useless for desktops and only does harm especially if you overclock your machine. Secondly, don't ever use Sleep. It is is useless for desktops. Laptops will benefit from this but again if you have SSD in your laptop, hibernation will wear that disk like there is no tomorrow.[/citation]

I find hibernation quite helpful. If you've got a gaming machine, for example, and you play the same one or two titles a lot, and need to switch off once in a while, hibernation allows for a much faster reboot plus as your game is cached to some degree, it'll start back up much faster than with a cold boot. Maybe I'm not looking at the big picture, what with not being a die-hard overclocker and all. ;)

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
How about reducing complexity instead? Why does it take up so much space, as opposed to Windows 98, for instance? That thing only took up, what, 500 MB? If the files are in proper sequence on the disk and defragmented (probably less effective for SSDs but the vast majority still use HDDs), it will not only boot up faster but will perform better too. Motherboard/GPU drivers, etc., are usually provided by the manufacturers anyway. A generic pack (500 MB?) should be enough. I mean think about it, a complete Linux kernel is under 100 MB.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I had thought that the main limitation for boot/shutdown was the HDD speed, but since this will be in tablets, the multi-core and kernel hibernation is a really good idea. It will allow a larger OS (desktop vs. tablet) to boot really quickly. I like it. And yes, I put my desktop to sleep all the time. I like clicking the mouse or keyboard to get back to work quickly.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
But does this mean it can't be shut off? I mean hibernation is a sort of deep-sleep state right? Can i pull the power plug on it then? I know she had removed the laptop battery in the video, but was that a cold boot or was the laptop booting from hibernation? What are the implications for power consumption? Isn't it better to turn your computer off completely (from a power point of view)?

And btw why are some people complaining about the size of hyberfil.sys? Is it really that big?

[citation][nom]officeguy[/nom]Between the 32 and 33 second mark there is a glitch. Did it really boot up that fast? I really have no doubts but make a video without glitches so you don't leave people wondering.[/citation]
Agreed, it's been edited there, but the system was already live so it shouldn't make a difference. Must have just been a retake.

atmapuri

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
I agree with DSPider. The correct approach to this problem would be to reduce the size of windows OS. The compilers these days waste the disk space saying its cheap anyway. But when you get to the OS and this program and that program all treating HDD property like it is free and combine everything together.... it becomes very expensive to fix.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
I don't know why people keep thinking Windows 8 is being designed for desktops when it is clearly just for laptops and tablets. It's not even a different OS, it's just Windows 7 fine tuned for mobile devices, (specifically touch screen tablets).

Anybody who has tried loading the developer version on their desktop will quickly realize how awkward it is to navigate the metro interface, and it should be obvious, (but for some people it isn't), that metro is clearly designed to be used on touch screen tablets and not desktops. Even the absence of the traditional start menu tells me Windows 8 is not designed for, nor intended to ever be used on a desktop machine.

This confusion is one of the many reasons why Microsoft is no longer the tech leader they once were.

Status
Not open for further replies.