[SOLVED] windows 8 usb drive icon corrupt ?

theateam794

Honorable
Sep 21, 2017
I had a printer job lockup and it wouldn't cancel or stop no matter what I did so I turned off the printer, caused pc to BSOD,

little later after I plugged it back in to scan something and got another BSOD, this one worred me but after another restart every seem to be working normally.

unsure if any of that is related but now hours later I just noticed all my usb removable drives have this icon

unknown.png

the only other thing I remember doing was deleting desktop.ini from my documents as I was randomly tidying

any suggestions on how to get the normal icons back again ?

Solution
I found this

seems to be the exact issue, it suggests I fix though I don't know if it will work, guess I can try and post back

edit:this was the cause but I have no good fix, this can also effect windows 10 machines

just to update this, I disabled downloading of custom icons, refreshed my iconcache and now all my removable drives show up as EMPTY FILE icons, so I made it worse

still looking for a solution to this!!

edit:the solution ...

disable downloading of manufacturer driver information.

unplug usb devices.

install device remover Device Remover - www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/device_remover_543c.html...

theateam794

Honorable
Sep 21, 2017
first method suggested in the link didn't work, the drive vanished and when it was readded it popped back up with its missing icon still, second link in the link just seems to be generic troubleshooter but goes to a page not found anyway.

edit:I think "removable storage icons missing" is actually talking about people who have lost the drives and not the icons, funny wording.

just to add, I tried going back to a restore point before the icons changed, clearing the icon cache, I ran a rebuild image and sfc which all no files were corrupt, even tried deleting/recreating a drive icon thing in registry nothing has worked so far

theateam794

Honorable
Sep 21, 2017
I found this

seems to be the exact issue, it suggests I fix though I don't know if it will work, guess I can try and post back

edit:this was the cause but I have no good fix, this can also effect windows 10 machines

just to update this, I disabled downloading of custom icons, refreshed my iconcache and now all my removable drives show up as EMPTY FILE icons, so I made it worse

still looking for a solution to this!!

edit:the solution ...

disable downloading of manufacturer driver information.

unplug usb devices.

install device remover Device Remover - www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/device_remover_543c.html

set it to only display removed devices and remove all trace of the removable flash drives ( they are listed in several places )

once you re-plug the original icons should be restored (no thanks whatsoever goes to Microsoft)

phew,

(more detailed description in the comments to the article I linked credit to them for posting)

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS