Windows 8 WEI only 1.0?

izools

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
I've just installed the Windows 8 Consumer Preview x64 on my most powerful rig and subsequently installed the latest drivers (along with some rudimentary apps and windows updates).

I noticed the WEI score was only 5.9 - limited by the "Graphics" category - which I found odd, given my system sports sufficient graphics to far exceed this score.

I re-ran the assessment and get clean 8.x across the board (including "Gaming Graphics") but now only 1.0 for "Graphics"

I updated my BIOS also as Asus stated their latest one addressed Windows 8 compatibility issues. No change in the WEI when re-run though :(

PC Spec:

Core i7 3930K (Sandy Bridge E)
32GB Corsair Vengance RAM
240GB OCZ Agility III
2x Sapphire Radeon 7970 (Crossfire enabled)
Asus Sabertooth X79 Motherboard
Coolermaster Silent Gold Pro 1200W
...etc

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

G

No offense, but the WEI is probably the most useless stat ever. There is no reason to worry about what an OS that hasn't been released yet says about your Crossfired GPUs. I mean just stop and think for a second and you know the reading is wrong. Honestly, don't even ever look at the WEI again.

3r0s4nn1n

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
WEI is really not a good indication of performance.

I have an i7 2600K Overclocked to 5,0GHz and I still can't pass the dreaded 7.8 for CPU in Windows 7 (hell even a 3960X OC to 4,8GHz is not able to break that barrier) so you really shouldn't pay THAT much attention to WEI.

izools

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Thanks for the replies guys.

Of course I know it's a massively inaccurate and over simplistic benchmark and nothing to go on. And of course I also know it isn't representative of my actual GPU performance but I am still concerned as to why it is happening and am keen to resolve the problem if anyone's had any experience doing so themselves before?

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
I completely disagree. The Win8 WEI is very useful. What Win8 is telling you is that you need to go to amd.com and download the appropriate driver just like you did in Win7. You can just use the autodetect and install option. I did this and my WEI improved from dismal to 7.8.

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010

7.8 is about all the 2600K is able to achieve. If you want something above 7.8 you'll need a faster processor. I have broken the 7.8 barrier, so I know it's possible.

TRENDING THREADS