Windows 8 Will (Finally) Include Support for UK English

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Hopefully I can also print a basic calender starting on sunday using publisher, without having to convert my system to completely US.

Seems odd really, as they offer other language variants but neglected the easiest one of all, English.

A welcome improvement to take care of the small annoyances associated with not having it.

randomizer

Champion
Keep in mind that this isn't a complete translation. The key phrase is "commonly used Windows features." Anything that doesn't fall into that category will still be in US English (or whatever the "parent" language is for that LIP).

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Well I am surprised, I never noticed this, because there are, for example 2 Portuguese language options), the standard european version and the brazillian version for a long time now, and the standard portuguese version has by far a smaller potential market than the brazillian market, yet we´ve beeng given this choise since, if i´m not mistaken, Windows 95.
How I understand the english being annoyed for having to use the Us version, how I understand.....

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
At last, now we don't have to use a bastardised version of the language where words like "Colour" are missing letters through no other reason than what seems like pure laziness.

coreym72

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Dear Helpdesk,
Look Mate... The Telly went on the blink.
sent via mY Phone

RE: Dear Helpdesk,
Sorry Ol' Chap but that is a Blue Screen of Death.

G

Ireland English was always available which is virtually the same as UK English, could they not just rename it to Ireland/UK English

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
I read the title and wanted to add my own Anglicized version of common windows terms here in the comments...

Apparently I wasn't the only one...

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Double-click then right-click any word in any app in osx and you can instantly access the Oxford English Dictionary (or numerous other data sources). It is beautifully elegant.

lathe26

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I agree that the UK pronounces words like aluminum correctly and I'm fine with having different words for the same thing (truck vs lorry, hood vs bonnet, trunk vs boot). These make the language richer by making word-play jokes and poetry rhyming possible.

However, having similar words that with superfluous letters that add nothing should be removed from the English language. These merely complicate things and have no value. Ex: old vs olde, shop vs shoppe, while vs whilst.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Why can't the English speak English like the rest of us Americans?[/citation]Excluding the indigenous people, it's not just the speaking, Americans can't spell or speak English properly.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]lathe26[/nom] Ex: old vs olde, shop vs shoppe, while vs whilst.[/citation] Olde and shoppe are fictitious and have never been correct even in Britain, while whilst is quite another matter.

Face it. They simply can't talk proper, like.

G

Considering that America is a former British colonial state populated by the British (by the millions even up to the early 1900's), it actually makes American English just a dialect of English. Then considering that more people in the world speak that dialect, it actually makes American English the norm. There's a reason the northeastern part of the US is called "New" England.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Add to the mix the fact that the majority of 'white' Americans are NOT of British descend and it makes the whole language melting pot even more interesting.

BWMerlin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
[citation][nom]dirtyferret[/nom]now if we can only get everyone to speak english in the states[/citation]
I would never call what is spoken or written in "The States" English but a horrible bastardised language made for simpletons which clearly shows.

Sprinx

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
So, can I switch my language to German if I want? I'm American, but I'm trying to learn - it's a form of immersion, I suppose.

Currently, you could only do this with Windows Vista / 7 Ultimate, and maybe Enterprise too. Not an option for the majority of home users, which have Home Premium or Professional.

As far as I know, there is no word on what the SKUs will be.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]At last, now we don't have to use a bastardised version of the language where words like "Colour" are missing letters through no other reason than what seems like pure laziness.[/citation]
No we omit them because they are not necessary, just like we omitted the english back in 1776.

Status
Not open for further replies.