Windows 8 Will Play Very Nicely With Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

openi3

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Sold? Hmmm Windows license... you can't own it, it doesn't go off but it expires. You don't upgrade because you need to XP > vista = duff upgrade
XP > Win 7 = purchase new license.
Because you can't buy old hardware at the store, you won't be able to use XP.
Floppy > CD = Dos > Windows
Windows > XP = cd > DVD, Blu Ray
XP > W7 = HD resolution 3d graphics (DX10, DX11)
Windows 8 doesn't offer a compelling enough reason for me to upgrade my XP licenses as yet... Still looking at Windows 7...

Graham_71

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
I think M$ are loosing sales of Windows 7 buy setting it's termination date before Windows 8 is released.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions
With so many XP users still out there and considering Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium & Ultimate support will be terminated on January 13, 2015 only 9 months after support for XP is terminated April 8, 2014, it's best to wait for windows 8 unless your getting Professional or Enterprise edition which has support until January 14, 2020

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Wouldn't we expect this to be the case (or at least claimed to be the case)? It's not like we would have them come out and say - These won't ever function together and Windows 8 will be totally different. You'll just have to buy it and see...

Wouldn't that be a ridiculous claim...at least from a PR and marketing standpoint.

I think we can only wait and see what it is really like.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
400 million Win7 licenses. OK. More than 200 million PCs still using XP? OK. But, such wording could leave one to believe there are currently twice as many Win7 users as there are XP users. That's not the case.

OEMs buy OS licenses in bulk, often by the tens of thousands at once. So, OEMs have purchased enough Win7 licenses to produce 400 million Win7 PCs. That doesn't mean they have made those 400 million PCs, and it certainly doesn't mean they've actually sold them and are in use. PCs sometimes sit on a store shelf for years, unsold. Some retailers may still have unsold XP or Vista machines.

The real measure for Win7's adoption would be an account of how many licenses have been activated. Til then, that 400 million number is at best an estimate of it's potential success and adoption.

As for the comments regarding business integration of Win7, I know of very few who have bothered to do so. Most still run XP, having also skipped Vista. Why? Because it's poor business sense to constantly fix things that aren't broken. Unless Win8 offers something new that businesses absolutely crave, Win8 may suffer a similar fate.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
for my needs I have no plans to upgrade from windows 7, is as simple as that, plus I like to keep my stuff on my hard drives... thank you very much.

clouds are nice, even enjoy a rainy day, but I will never trust my data to a cloud.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
@RazberyBandit What you say maybe true and had they said 'activated' instead of 'sold' it would be much clearer how many are in use, since Win7 calls home for activation. But I'm sure they don't want the public breaking down the figures. What is more, all that Microsoft cares about is money in the bank, which is what 'licenses sold' represents.

RobinPanties

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]400 million Win7 licenses. OK. More than 200 million PCs still using XP? OK. But, such wording could leave one to believe there are currently twice as many Win7 users as there are XP users. That's not the case.OEMs buy OS licenses in bulk, often by the tens of thousands at once. So, OEMs have purchased enough Win7 licenses to produce 400 million Win7 PCs. That doesn't mean they have made those 400 million PCs, and it certainly doesn't mean they've actually sold them and are in use. PCs sometimes sit on a store shelf for years, unsold. Some retailers may still have unsold XP or Vista machines.The real measure for Win7's adoption would be an account of how many licenses have been activated. Til then, that 400 million number is at best an estimate of it's potential success and adoption.As for the comments regarding business integration of Win7, I know of very few who have bothered to do so. Most still run XP, having also skipped Vista. Why? Because it's poor business sense to constantly fix things that aren't broken. Unless Win8 offers something new that businesses absolutely crave, Win8 may suffer a similar fate.[/citation]

You have a point, but I think it's only relavent if you're looking from a particular perspective. Microsoft was thanking their partners for buying 400 million copies. Articles like these are taking that figure and attempting to journalistically use it as a benchmark of success. Which, from a business standpoint, it is. Even if each license cost OEM's $75-$100 apiece, multiply by 400 million and you could say Microsoft has been successful from a business standpoint with their Windows 7 OS.. Internally, their bosses are high fiving and backslapping and shaking employees hands at their company picnic because they have successfully built and sold many copies and raked in their R&D, labor, advertising costs and profited as well... YOUR real measure as a fan might be about how many copies were activated... however, you're also talking about OEM copies, which I believe are activated by the factories anyways, so most of those probably ARE activated, and just waiting for the end user to "Register" online, although, I don't usually buy pre-manufactured PC's, so I could be wrong about that part... regardless, if you can afford it, you might want to buy Microsoft stock, not sure if you've noticed over the last few decades... but those guys know how to make money...

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
All of the ignorant once again comparing Windows 8 to Windows 7, when they aren't competing products. Windows 8 is basically Windows 7 made for touchscreen devices and ARM cpu's. This is the reason for lines like this "We see a future with a heterogeneous enterprise environment of Windows 8 devices and apps alongside Windows 7 PCs" Notice how they didn't call windows 8 pc's, but devices.

Just think of Windows 8 being built into your next TV / blu ray player, DVR, tablet, or being dual boot on your next xbox. Don't think of it being on your PC, because that's not where it goes. It goes on anything that's not a PC and not a cell phone.

Who wants a Core I7 PC with 16GB of ram running Android or iOs?

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
It appears that Windows 8 will be the Microsoft answer to Google's Chrome OS. I hope they don't make it completely an online OS and allow for devices/PCs with Win8 to use internal storage. It appears that the next fullblown desktop OS will be Windows 9...? After the success of Windows 7 I'm sure MS wants to cash on an OS again but I'm not entirely sure that it will happen through Windows 8.

That being said by the time Windows 9 rolls out desktops may have become a lot less relevant and a lot less capable of generating the profits Windows 7 generated.

jurassic512

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
what kind of techie *bleep* decides not to buy something not even out yet? you sure you're at the right website? this is about tech. i can't imagine any techie dismissing any tech without seeing the final product. makes no sense to me when i keep seeing similar remarks every time something new is about to come out. it angers me even.

jurassic512

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
omg Niva, Windows 8 is desktop OS but scalable to other devices. They've stressed that over and over because of assumptions like yours. wow, i gotta stop commenting... or just stop reading the comments. that comment you made is so ridiculous.

jurassic512

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
k im higher than giraffe p*ssy... Did Niva just compare Windows 8 to ChromeOS? i thought he was talking about W8 being a touchscreen OS for some reason. but wtf, like ChromeOS?! wtf started that rumor? end his life please!

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
@Openi3
Are you serious. Of course your don't own it. Read the Terms of conditions of nearly anything you've every purchased. Any software (including OS's) is licensed.
Yes you can physically own a cd/dvd of the software for installation purchases, but you have to accept a license and terms of agreement to use it.

openi3

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
[citation][nom]jurassic512[/nom]what kind of techie *bleep* decides not to buy something not even out yet? you sure you're at the right website? this is about tech. i can't imagine any techie dismissing any tech without seeing the final product. makes no sense to me when i keep seeing similar remarks every time something new is about to come out. it angers me even.[/citation]
Well, having been in tech since VIC-20 days, a new version of windows doesn't excite me anywhere near as much as say a move away from DX.
In terms of tech, what I feel is an exciting advance and what titillates you are likely to be very different things.
I love the idea of the atom+ion platforms but I've hit a brick wall with full HD playback in h.264 - and I've got a pocket camera that brings my 311c to its knees. Enter Fusion - wonderful.
Win 7 sounds like the bees knees. I held out as I did for Vista - why? the benefits don't warrant a change at the moment... However when I buy a new PC, this will change.
I do have win 7 machines for work and they're fine... except nobody tells you that if it crashes, you can't retrieve your docs as easily as plugging your drive into another machine.... and if you have to chose on a sunday between a working machine or your data for the week.... what do you choose?
So, sticking to XP has been worth it so far as I've learned that there are pitfalls that I actually need to avoid with Win 7.

@walter87 - this was a reference (disguised somewhat) to Geohotz et al. I think that Microsoft is going to face serious survival challenges - and that's good for innovation and the marketplace.

- 12 on my original post! That's a shocker. and just for suggesting that it's a good marketing ploy that Vista was deliberately duff to force XP users into a full upgrade senario? my, my.

Anyone else think that an 8" floppy is *cool*?

openi3

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
[citation][nom]walter87[/nom]@Openi3Are you serious. Of course your don't own it. Read the Terms of conditions of nearly anything you've every purchased. Any software (including OS's) is licensed.Yes you can physically own a cd/dvd of the software for installation purchases, but you have to accept a license and terms of agreement to use it.[/citation]

Yes, this is the unfortunate Norm. Proponents of "free software" make a very valid point. If you understand that the debate is political and that free doesn't mean "free to try" but freedom as in referring to liberty, then you at least understand some of the debate.

I guess it just boils down to there being a smaller gap between Linux and Windows of late and you could just about wish it away in many instances. For me, and millions of people out there, this is a good, good thing.

G

Just bought 2 windows 7 OEMs for my parents and my new PC a few months ago. 1st upgrade since XP...:p'''

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
What I want to see is a legitimate OS on my devices. If windows makes a decent OS that will run on my TV, alarm clock whatever tech I have, all of it that would be fantastic. Think of the possibilities of all your devices working in tandem through a network. You could use your alarm clock to turn on your PC, your phone for the ultimate remote contol, your TV could no longer require a HTPC. Making windows an OS that runs on a cheap, low-power cost efficient chip like arm the whole thing could be one step closer to a reality without the need for something like cloud computing.

Sadly, I hesitate to claim that an overhauled Windows will work anywhere near that well. I would definitely like to see a fully-functional OS on a Tablet or phone at the very least from Windows 8 for ARM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS