Windows 8 won't boot anymore.

alexbd88

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013
I deleted steam from my ssd to allocate some space. After i deleted I noticed it only freed up like 3gbs of space even though I deleted a 39gb files. So I ran an optimization on the Samsung ssd software that came with the drive then I restarted the computer. Now it is a brick! I can still get into bios but when I boot the ssd it just loads windows 8 indefinitely! What did I do and I do I fix it?

alexbd88

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013
I thought system restore wasn't working because it froze on a "blue screen" for 20 minutes then it popped up like nothing was wrong. I am running system restore now. Neon, do you know why my ssd only showed 3gb of newly freed space?

alexbd88

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013
I am going to go ahead and install it on my regulars hdd. Tomorrow I will call Samsung and ask me to send me a new one. Maybe they will even give me the 256gb version for wasting my time.

I hope you have not formated yet.
connect your drive to power, boot to BIOS and leave your system there overnight.
I expect that you drive is wedged up in its idle time TRIM and garbage collection routines in the SSD firmware. These routines require free drive space and will run very slowly when the drive fills up.
The hope is that providing power to the drive but not booting will allow the firmware
functions to complete its deletion of your freed file space.
not sure what will happen with running the extra samsung software.
if you get drive to boot, clean out your recycle bin and shutdown but keep power to the drive for a bit.

Pepto

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I am still not sure about why people waste money on SSDs... their problems greatly outweigh the benefits. =_=

Do people really need their computer to boot in 10 seconds? Mine only takes 25 seconds and I can't even get myself a drink that fast...