Windows 8 won't connect to the internet

Twinion

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
I've seen similar posts on here before but all have suggested to download drivers etc. however I am not able to get any internet access to download drivers from my computer.
I have had my ASUS X501A for a little over a month and have had problems connecting to the internet since day 1 but have usually been fixed by restarting the laptop or by rebooting and restarting my BT HomeHub but today nothing has helped it. I have had a small amount of connection today but then it suddenly lost it all and when I restarted my computer it would not let me connect, and I've lost count of how many times I have either restarted my computer or reset my HomeHub.
The rest of my families computers work perfectly fine but they are all on Windows 7 and all of our Smartphones work fine too. I have never had any problems with my laptop itself except for Windows 8, I'd like to go back to Windows 7 but my laptop came with Windows 8 so I'm unfortunately stuck with it.
If anyone can help me then please do! I'm not very good with computers so if you need more information, please tell me and give me a quick view on where I will find that information.
Thank you in advance!

To get the drivers you could use another PC to download them, download the utilities as well (some manufacturers provide configuration programs to use with their systems), save them on a USB drive and then use the drive to install them on your system.

Twinion

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

I don't know why I didn't think of using a USB stick. So I had another look at the advice people have given others about the drivers but I still don't have a clue about which drivers I need to be downloading and where to download them from.

Twinion

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

Ok, so I shall download the 'Atheros Wireless Lan Driver and Application' as I know I have Atheros on my network on the device manager. And then when you say the utilities associated with that, do you mean when I've actually downloaded it and it asks me to install it or the dropdown menu on the site that says 'Utilities (16)'? When I do download these is there a specific place they need to go on my computer and where do I go once downloaded?

Twinion

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

I've launched it but I'm just waiting for it to install the driver files. It's gone to an all green bar but hasn't done anything, my computer isn't frozen. I'm just worried that it's stopped. Any clues as to why it's doing that or if it should take this long?

Twinion

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

It worked! At least I think it did, I'm able to access the internet, I just hope it continues to work! Thank you very much!

TRENDING THREADS