Windows 8 - Wont Install Any Drivers

deejaycin

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Hey guys, i recently tried to update my nvidia graphics card driver to the newest version 314.07 from 310.09 or something like that, but i found that the install hangs after a certain point during the install.

i searched online everywhere for the solution but none yet, ive tried fixing the registry permissions/file permissions, safe mode, and various other security bypasses that you can think of.

i also noticed that this problem has been happening not with my graphics card but also when i try to update my intel chipset driver, my audio driver and any other driver i try to install it just fails.

HELP PLEASE ive been working on this for the past 3 hours already :[

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
What OEM? I bet anything you need a clean install of Windows... With Windows 8 manufactures have changed more code than ever within windows... To the point where it operates totally different... Some have actually changed a lot of the charms.

They do this so you have to download their drivers, and you cant install the latest stuff from Nvidia, or whoever... it sucks, drastically.

deejaycin

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
sorry im a noobie thought OEM meant a old version of windows, but this is a retail version from a box. so i dont think this is an altered version of windows. but i really dont wanna do a clean reinstall of windows, im actually typing to you without a display driver right now lols, but another thing to add is that even when trying to do manual installs of that driver, i get an error saying "data is invalid" then it goes back to saying the device is unknown with the yellow exclamation mark next to it in device manager

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
It sounds like the driver is not downloading good, or your RAM timing is off. Something about the installer is not packaging right. If you would like send me a message and Ill help you via remote access... at least the best I can.

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

This is the only software problem you could be having honestly. And when you go to install the driver, even if its not signed, it should ask you if your sure you want to run it anyways.

Stu Har

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
Hi everyone I have been having the same problems as the poster not being able to install any NVidia driver past 310.09 this is my soloution how I got the install to work , first you need to get into safe mode easier said than done in window 8,
1; open your charm bar and go to settings then change pc settings then General on advanced start-up click restart
2 got troubleshoot then to advanced options , windows start-up settings then click restart

3 when restarted you will be at the advanced start options look at the list f4 is safe mode press it and enter safe mode
4 once on safe mode you can run the NVidia setup from the c:/nvidia/displaydriver/314.14 folder run the set exe as admin and the driver will install ok restart back to normal windows and your away
this work for me and 2 of my friends who was having the same issue good look

lejimmy

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
Sorry to revive a slightly old thread but I'm having the exact same issue.

Video card drivers won't install, none of the drivers for my motherboard will install etc.

On top of that computer shut down and restart will hang and never turn off.

I'll try some of the solutions mentioned here but if anyone has any more information that would be a great help thanks!

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

reinstall windows, at best its bad/corrupt install at worst its hardware issue