Windows 8 won't let me boot from dvd drive

miss mouth

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Got a new laptop (ASUS F75A-EH51) with windows 8 preinstalled. YUCK!!!!! Want to install windows 7 instead. Have a windows 7 disk, never been installed, and want to install instead of 8, but I cannot seem to get it to boot from dvd. In BIOS, the only boot options are both "windows boot option #1". I created a new boot option, and entered path to dvd drive, and then made it #1 boot priority, but that didn't work. ANyone know how I can get the laptop to boot from my disk??

New machines with Windows 8 have a new UEFI BIOS that supports Microsoft secure boot process. (use to prevent certain types of malware)
if you want to boot a non secure boot enabled OS you will have to turn off this feature in your UEFI BIOS before the BIOS will transfer control of the hardware to the OS.

Please note: lots of new machines come with free downgrade rights to Windows 7 (just fyi if you don't want to waste a extra windows license)

-also download your drivers from your vender before you wipe your OS
some vendors are slow to back propagate and rebuild older drivers for legacy OS like windows 7, vista, and XP

Alsaras

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
press f2 to get to the setup menu,from the priorities change the format of the settings from the ueif or what ever it is to legacy. u will see the list of priorities. set #1 to be cd/dvd

hongxue

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013
I was thinking about drivers. Where can I download drivers for the optical drives? HP doesnt have them, neither does Sony the products manufacture. I am on Windows 7 btw.