Windows 8 won't let me install apps.

taymarie22

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
I'm still learning how to use my new Toshiba laptop with Windows8 built in. Every time I go to download an app from the store, it either says that it couldn't download the app because my PC "does not reach the minimal software requirements" or it'll say that something went wrong with the purchase and it couldn't install the app. An error code does pop up with the "bad purchase". The error code is : 0x800706ba

Solution

OK, we'll check out your Windows installation
First try System File Checker
Winkey plus 'X'
Choose Command Prompt (Admin)
Type sfc /scannow then Enter

Are you signed on with a Microsoft Account?

taymarie22

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013

yes

OK, we'll check out your Windows installation
First try System File Checker
Winkey plus 'X'
Choose Command Prompt (Admin)
Type sfc /scannow then Enter

Solution

Windows Key, between Fn and Alt...
q4t8.png

Can be used to access Start Screen... and many others

iluvhardware

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
For anyone else with this, the solution was that the Temporary Internet Files folder was wrong in Internet Explorer. Run IE, go into Internet Options, click Settings in Browsing History section, click Move Folder and set to something valid like "c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows".

danime

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
Just to add a suggestion here, as i tried the above solution but some of the options there weren't available on my IE. Because i had been trying to download blinkbox via the W8 store and it wouldn't allow me to "sorry we could not sign you in" was my reply each time. I have tried changing my password to my hotmail acc, but it still didn't work. As a last resort i signed out of my toshiba laptop, about to give up, when i tried one last time. Previously i have still been logging into my laptop using the pword i originally set up and it allowed me to sign in (even tho i had changed my pword before via hotmail), this time it occured to me to try logging in with the new one, it signed me in and then asked me to confirm mobile digits so they could send me a security code. Once that was done, i went back into the store and my downloads went thru no problem. *hooray*