Windows 8 x64 Re-install with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error code

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan_seven

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Hello, I thank again the people who helped me before. I recently bought this net-book: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NU.SGPAA.019 .I got it for my dad, but since he is a complete stranger to Windows 8, I figured I COULD install Windows 7 with no problem, (windows 7 x64 by the way). But ohh I was wrong, so wrong; extreme lag? check, random BSODs?, check, windows updates with random errors?, check, and other series of scary things. So well, I decided to RE-INSTALL windows 8 which was pretty logic since the net-book had that system from the beginning, but again I was wrong. Everything went smooth, and then BANG!, the net-book restarted to complete the install process, and then an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error stops me dead from using my net-book ever again. I read that this was supposed to be a driver or a program issue, but I deleted all partitions, and gave the HDD format, cleaning EVERYTHING inside, so I'm very confused. I tried all again but I still get the error. As you can see all this is a very bad omen for the future of this netbook. So I humbly ask if anyone could give me a piece of advice as to how to continue, I'm practically scratching my head now like a monkey. I appreciate any reply in advance.

Solution
It turns out, the HDD came in very bad shape, it's almost half-fried, I confirmed this using HD Tune. That was the main problem, the software itself is fine. Of course I tried chkdsk /f and chkdsk /r, but no, it's completely gone, even Windows now tells me that I should do a backup because the system has found errors in the HDD. Anyway, just for the files, you can take a look at my other post, it's just about the same issue, I got there some tips too just if somebody stumbles upon this post. Again, thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate.

dan_seven

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011

Thanks for a very fast reply Blackbird. I thought the format from the boot would wipe it all, how exactly a driver can be the problem?, is there a way to know which one?, and there could be a way to install the driver even before windows can complete the installation of the OS?, thanks again.

dan_seven

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011

That's the problem, windows 8 hasn't completed the installation yet, so when I try to boot even in safe mode, it will tell me that I need to start the computer in the regular mode which I can't since it gives me the error before windows could start.

dan_seven

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
By the way, after a couple of restarts, it shows the Recovery screen, it says that the PC has failed to start so it needs to be repaired and gives me the "Error code: 0xc0000001".

dan_seven

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011

Yes sir, right here on a bootable USB drive, in fact right now I started Auto-Repair from Advanced options from the Recovery menu, and it says that the repair cannot be done by so it filed a log called srttrail.txt and I could open it from the Command Prompt, it opened the log but it says NOTHING, just some tests with nothing, just Error code=0x0, at the end says: "Root cause found: Failure while setup is in progress" which is obvious because I can't even complete it. Any way, from there I can see all the files inside the PC.

dan_seven

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011

Hey gamerk, thanks for your reply too. I used the Memory Diagnostic and the 2 tests run didn't throw me any issues. I will try to create a bootable USB with memtest86+ to see if it finds anything else.

dan_seven

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011

Well, I used v 1.4 and it gave me 0 errors. So far, memory OK, HDD OK, anything more I could check regarding the error code?, thanks again for the help.

dan_seven

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
It's weird, I used the option Restart you PC>Windows 8>Only the drive where Windows is installed>Just remove my files, and it completed, then it rebooted back to the Windows 8 start screen, then it went to "Getting devices ready", it hit 100%, then restarted, and then the error code strikes again, it was like it was ready to start Windows but somehow something somewhere decided I shouldn't, what the frack?.

Kayvoh

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

i don't know what exactly is wrong with the acer machines because mine is acer aspire e1-571 and it has the start button to show that it was clearly designed for windows 8 but it gives the exact error after installing windows 8

dan_seven

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
It turns out, the HDD came in very bad shape, it's almost half-fried, I confirmed this using HD Tune. That was the main problem, the software itself is fine. Of course I tried chkdsk /f and chkdsk /r, but no, it's completely gone, even Windows now tells me that I should do a backup because the system has found errors in the HDD. Anyway, just for the files, you can take a look at my other post, it's just about the same issue, I got there some tips too just if somebody stumbles upon this post. Again, thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate.

Solution

Kayvoh

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
go to the acer webssite they are offering all the drivers that are incompatible with windows 8...there is an option for downloading the drivers and i tell you the acer machines really have a problem because they have listed more than 80 machines that will be incopatible...am going to upgrade mine and i will notify you as soon as it gets better

dan_seven

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011

That's right man, be sure to just install the ones in the website, according to your OS, because I really screwed up by downloading the drivers through Driver Genius, the scanner downloaded and installed random drivers for hardware I don't even have. And the thing with drivers through Windows Update is that the only driver that Windows found was the VGA driver, but I need all the other stuff (wlan/lan, bluetooth, webcam, trackpad, etc). And also, install just a group of Windows updates taking your time.

mattygaga2013

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Hey dude I thought I would tell you that I found a solution to your issue!!

I had the same problem and spent 5 days re-installing Windows 7 to just get the same IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error!! Well all I did was the following:

1. Install Windows 8 the same way you did

2. As soon as your laptop BlueScreens with IRQL, switch your laptop off

3. Grab a screwdriver, REMOVE your WLAN card from the port and turn your laptop on (With your windows disk/usb drive inside).

4.Then when your laptop boots up, you should see it setting up and working! But you still need to do a few more things...:

5. Go to Device Manager and under Network Adapters uninstall whatever is in there

6. Then shut down.

7. Once your laptop is shut down, pop your WLAN card back in your laptop

8. Turn your laptop back on and then go to your manufacturer website and download the driver for your WLAN!

Problem solved. Literally that is ALL YOU NEED TO DO. I see others saying it's a faulty HDD but trust me it isn't. Your HDD is fine, install media is fine, but your driver isn't.

As an example, remember with Windows XP and Vista, you would say, replace the WLAN card or install new hardware and when you boot it up, your PC/Laptop has a hissy fit and BSOD on you... So you removed it and it worked yeah? Literally, SAME THING but just made prettier than the MSDos horrid BlueScreen we all remember... Plus they add a nice emoticon haha!

Hope this has helped you in your struggles!

Matty Gaga

Status
Not open for further replies.