Windows 8's Steam Usage Already Outpacing Mac OS X

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Linux isn't going to be the main gaming platform until:

DirectX isnt used anymore.
Linus plays nice with NVIDIA.
AMD and NVIDIA make drivers, let alone good ones, for linux
A universial distribution comes out (pfft good luck)
Windows users lose trust in Windows for any given reason
You don't have to run an emulator to play games just for them to run 1% as fast as if you did it on Windows.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ItWillBeDone[/nom]A Bad Day, Pinhedd Don't forget when M$ locks you favorite games out of its closed ecosystem[/citation]
Will never happen, Windows 8 already allows games to be run as normal desktop programs, Steam is a standard desktop program and all the games in Steam are run as - you guessed it - standard desktop programs
It would have to be something implemented in Windows 9 if they ever wanted it to, which they won't, keeping the PC gaming scene on Windows means more copies of Windows sold, if you alienate them they will go elsewhere, do you seriously think MS is that stupid?
although, after reading your FUD i think you may be...

Teeroy32

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
[citation][nom]siuol11[/nom]Linux isn't going to be used for games until there is ONE universal install and people don't have to compile their own drivers. I'm in to computer tinkering but when I want to sit down and play a game, I want to sit down and play a game- not spend 5 hours hunting down a resource conflict.[/citation]
Mate I use Windows and Linux, and I don't compile my own drivers on either, the drivers I use are propriety, made by nvidia packaged by canonical for my Ubuntu system, learn the current state of affairs before spreading FUD. For your info I do less tinkering on linux then I do on windows

Teeroy32

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]The classic example of a NOOB.Linux is not Unix[/citation]
No but it is unix like, and has posix compatibility

Teeroy32

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
[citation][nom]m1n3kraft[/nom]Linux isn't going to be the main gaming platform until:DirectX isnt used anymore.Linus plays nice with NVIDIA.AMD and NVIDIA make drivers, let alone good ones, for linuxA universial distribution comes out (pfft good luck)Windows users lose trust in Windows for any given reasonYou don't have to run an emulator to play games just for them to run 1% as fast as if you did it on Windows.[/citation]
My Nvidia card and drivers work perfectly fine on LInux whats your pint, the only games that I'm stuck using windows for is BF3 because of that Origion crap, and any games I'm dumb enough to buy that are made by ubisoft

[citation][nom]m1n3kraft[/nom]Linux isn't going to be the main gaming platform until:DirectX isnt used anymore.Linus plays nice with NVIDIA.AMD and NVIDIA make drivers, let alone good ones, for linuxA universial distribution comes out (pfft good luck)Windows users lose trust in Windows for any given reasonYou don't have to run an emulator to play games just for them to run 1% as fast as if you did it on Windows.[/citation]

AMD doesn't need to make good drivers because the Linux community can do that themselves since unlike Nvidia, AMD lets them do it.

I doubt that Linux will be the main gaming platform any time soon, if ever, but it may end up becoming a powerful one. Linux already has good DX compatibility down with WINE and other programs (which isn't an emulator, just so everyone who didn't know that and thought it was can stop spouting their lies) and drivers have gotten pretty good lately. With more and more companies even making native Linux games and gaming platforms, it could happen.

[citation][nom]jumpityjump888[/nom]The classic example of a NOOB.MAC = UnixWinblowz = cheep virus ready, unstable rubbishLinux = UnixI wonder if the Noob can work out his mistake.>dauntekong 12/08/2012 7:32 AM>Macs are for toddles and special needed people>Windows are for gamers and average users>Linux are for super intelligent users and hardcore hackersAnd yes I do play all he games I want on Unix... I wonder if the Noob can work that one out as well.[/citation]

OSX is based on FreeBSD IIRC, not directly on Unix. Linux is also not Unix. They may have compatibility in many ways, but that doesn't make them the same. Furthermore, OSX is more vulnerable to malware than Windows, so calling Windows the cheap, virus ready, unstable rubbish makes little sense in that regard. It's also only less stable, at least most of the time, because of drivers that aren't made by Microsoft. This is not always true nor even close to it, but it's a general rule. Thus is the trade off for greater usability than OSX systems provide.

[citation][nom]asldklk2jkl2jlks[/nom]Linux isn't going to be used until directx isn't the dominant game API. mac isn't going to be used until directx isn't the dominant game API.Anything except windows isnt going to be used until directx isnt the dominant game API.I wish directx never became the dominant game API, but it did....If an open source graphics API was instead the dominant game API, things would be very different.[/citation]

Linux and Macs are used. They are not dominant, but they are used, even for gaming.

[citation][nom]RealCreatersDontUseW8[/nom]Darkerson, truth you can't handle the truth!!! You are a content consumer with no idea the amount of work that the content creators go through to produce the content that you so mindlessly consume! The windows 8 Metro/Modern UI is a content consumer's applience controll panel, but it is not for and hurts the productivity of the content creators who need a REAL OS to do REAL work! content creators need task bars, and multiple, resizeable windows for the serious multitasking that it takes to create the content[/citation]

Windows 8 has a task bar and a desktop that can handle "multiple, resizable windows for the serious multitasking that it takes to create content", so I fail to see your point against Windows 8.

G

blazorthon, I need more than 2 windows viewable at the same time, and an allways visable taskbar, without having to go through the start screen gymnastics of getting to and staying on the desktop! I also need an OS without an Appstore/Adware Metrp/Modern runtime draining resources from my computer!
What I really need is a Windows 7 OPTION on NEW hardware! If enterprise customers can downgrade to Windows 7, why can't I? Describe the process of sizing 4 windows to be viewable on the screen at the same time, describe haveing the 4 windows viewable, and 3 or 4 other applications running, that I can click once and have the screen window open for the other running applications! Add to this 1 or 2 file directory screens open, so I can click and see output, all these applications running and 4 windows sized to be visable at the same time, and no slide this, to reveal that, to get to the information and applications that I need to!

G

I don't know why people want Linux to rise to the top, I couldn't think of a worse situation for consumer computing than for us all to be dependent on a software that no one is responsible for. When I buy a mouse or keyboard I get a quality branded device that is owned and developed by a company who is proud of what they deliver. When I buy a car, I don't want a car that was patched together by a million distributed mechanics, I want a car that has been developed by one manufacturer who has standards and safety checks and after sales support. The whole Linux thing is just weird. We normally revel in the products we consume because they stand out as being exceptional. But Linux is not exceptional, it's not even that usable in it's desktop format, why do people want it to succeed ? Who cares about paying for a product such as Windows or Mac OS. Is that really a concern ? Maybe it's just a loud minority, but the noise they make is grating.

[citation][nom]AWindows7OPTION[/nom]blazorthon, I need more than 2 windows viewable at the same time, and an allways visable taskbar, without having to go through the start screen gymnastics of getting to and staying on the desktop! I also need an OS without an Appstore/Adware Metrp/Modern runtime draining resources from my computer!What I really need is a Windows 7 OPTION on NEW hardware! If enterprise customers can downgrade to Windows 7, why can't I? Describe the process of sizing 4 windows to be viewable on the screen at the same time, describe haveing the 4 windows viewable, and 3 or 4 other applications running, that I can click once and have the screen window open for the other running applications! Add to this 1 or 2 file directory screens open, so I can click and see output, all these applications running and 4 windows sized to be visable at the same time, and no slide this, to reveal that, to get to the information and applications that I need to![/citation]

Windows 8's desktop is almost exactly identical to that of Windows 7 and you don't need to go through any "start screen gymnastics" to get to it. It's one click away after logging in and if you can't handle a single click of the mouse when you log in, then you can change that yourself to boot directly to the desktop. It's not difficult nor time consuming to do.

Windows 8 uses less resources than Windows 7, so your claim about resources is not only false, but an outright lie.

I will describe it all by simply saying this: You do all of that in the same way as you do it in Windows 7.

[citation][nom]Gavin77[/nom]I don't know why people want Linux to rise to the top, I couldn't think of a worse situation for consumer computing than for us all to be dependent on a software that no one is responsible for. When I buy a mouse or keyboard I get a quality branded device that is owned and developed by a company who is proud of what they deliver. When I buy a car, I don't want a car that was patched together by a million distributed mechanics, I want a car that has been developed by one manufacturer who has standards and safety checks and after sales support. The whole Linux thing is just weird. We normally revel in the products we consume because they stand out as being exceptional. But Linux is not exceptional, it's not even that usable in it's desktop format, why do people want it to succeed ? Who cares about paying for a product such as Windows or Mac OS. Is that really a concern ? Maybe it's just a loud minority, but the noise they make is grating.[/citation]

Funny, my fairly extensive experience with Linux hasn't had mouse/keyboard support being any worse than on Windows. Sometimes it doesn't work, but that's not common and it happens with Windows too, regardless of the company that the mouse or keyboard is from.

Furthermore, there are many Linux distributions that are managed by a single company with safety checks and support just like you say that you want and list as a problem with Linux. Also, there aren't many car companies that don't screw up too (are there any car companies that don't screw up), so your example isn't even very helpful to your point.

The whole Linux thing isn't weird for any reasons that you listed and it's not just about not having to pay for Windows.

How is Linux not exceptional and how is it not usable in desktop formats? I use it in desktop formats often and I don't have any issues with using many distributions.

What reason could there possibly be for people to want Linux, or pretty much anything else that isn't inherently hurting us, to not succeed?

Yes, append I quoted said that linux would never replace windows for gaming.

I omitted the /sarcasm tag on my quote... windows is clearly in trouble with linux variants growing from phone into tablets then into PCs. When games grow on phones (sufficient CPU and graphics) then linux will grow to be a dominant gaming platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.