Windows 8's Steam Usage Already Outpacing Mac OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]bejabbers[/nom]Real gamers don't use mac... so this doesn't say anything.[/citation]

Real gamers do use mac... IF they love dealing with incompatibility issues and lighting their money on fire.

G

I use windows 8 on steam. Only because I had vista and it was horrible, and windows 8 had equivalent performance as windows 7 but only cost me 40 bucks to upgrade. Actually really enjoying it, runs alot like windows 7, sept my PC boot's up in about 5 seconds now, vs a whooping minute and change with vista (also upgraded to a SSD) Not as radical as everybody made it out to be. Just a different start page, but there are options out there to make it just like windows 7. (not sure why you would upgrade from windows 7 if you had the choice) Def recommend this OS for people buying new PC's.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
No Linux yet, probably because the client is still in beta. IE, Google Chrome, and Safari are far down the list. I'm surprised that GIMP and foobar2000 is on it while VLC is not.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]compuservant[/nom]The vast majority of Steam's installs are going to be on consoles so this article is really pointless.[/citation]

Sure, TOTALLY Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft are going to allow a competing software to be installed on their products.

G

Real gamers don't use mac, and not to far off from now, Real gamers will not use Windows also! Linux for gamers GameX will rule!

[citation][nom]DieM$ZombiesDie[/nom]Real gamers don't use mac, and not to far off from now, Real gamers will not use Windows also! Linux for gamers GameX will rule![/citation]
hehe...
*chuckle*
ha ha ha ha PFFFfffffffffff
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

*sigh*
Thanks, I needed a good laugh! Nothing against linux, I use it myself, but there is no way it will become the king gaming platform.

G

Soda-88, ever hear of windows 8 slippery slope to windows Blue, and no desktop for YOU! M$ wants it All, Gabe is a smart, he knows why! Windows 8 desktop is going the way of DOS, brought to you by windows blue!

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]DieM$ZombiesDie[/nom]Real gamers don't use mac, and not to far off from now, Real gamers will not use Windows also! Linux for gamers GameX will rule![/citation]
Only Sad Gamers use Linux.....

siuol11

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Linux isn't going to be used for games until there is ONE universal install and people don't have to compile their own drivers. I'm in to computer tinkering but when I want to sit down and play a game, I want to sit down and play a game- not spend 5 hours hunting down a resource conflict.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

*Error: Majority of the games are not compatible with Linux and may not support OpenGL. Please install an unstable, resource-consuming Windows emulator.*

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]*Error: Majority of the games are not compatible with Linux and may not support OpenGL. Please install an unstable, resource-consuming Windows emulator.*[/citation]

Don't forget about all the patches, hacks, tweaks, and undocumented modifications that you will have to make to the unstable, resource consuming Windows emulator before it will install much less run.

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Windows 8 isn't that horrible... I don't really see the struggles everyone else is having... its been working fine for me. most people only use like 6 different thing on their computer anyways, so once they get those things on an icon or tile, they'll forget about all their frustrations

Dry

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Pinhedd[/nom]Don't forget about all the patches, hacks, tweaks, and undocumented modifications that you will have to make to the unstable, resource consuming Windows emulator before it will install much less run.[/citation]

*Error: A major official patch from the developer fixed many of the bugs, but broke all of the compatibility. Either rollback or wait for the new one.*

G

A Bad Day, Pinhedd Don't forget when M$ locks you favorite games out of its closed ecosystem, beacuse the game makers will not give M$ every last drop of the profits! Most computers are running Linux, servers tablets, etc! The gaming companys and the people that write gaming engines are more than experienced enough to take a Linux distro and make it work for their games! Better keep that copy of windows 7 handy!

joe nate

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
Unfortunately, since the Hardware & Software survey is opt-in, this may not be an accurate reflection of the overall breakdown OS breakdowns of Steam users

That's the only unfortunate thing about it. From every other standpoint, the fact that they make it opt in instead of datamining it from people without permission on put it directly into their TOS to force people to share specs, it's refreshing to see a glimmer of privacy for the consumer.

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Macs are for toddles and special needed people

Windows are for gamers and average users

Linux are for super intelligent users and hardcore hackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS