Windows 9 Rumored to be in Alpha Stage

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Normally, I'd gasp at the thought of another version of Windows so soon from Win8 release. But since Windows 8.x is such a huge FAIL at this point I won't balk. But if Windows 9 doesn't deliver and learn from Ballmer's mistakes (Vista/Win8/metro tiles) I feel like MS will end up falling from everyone's good graces. I usually defend MS but if Win9 is another MS mistake I may have to change my stance. We'll see...

Other IMPORTANT rumors:
Windows 10 is in pre-alpha stage.
Nvidia is producing a single slot QUAD SLI GT 610
Apple is happy with people being inspired by them and stops suing other companies
Michael Jackson never died

Feb 17, 2014
But if Windows 9 doesn't deliver and learn from Ballmer's mistakes (Vista/Win8/metro tiles) I feel like MS will end up falling from everyone's good graces.

Seems to be the plan, from everything I've seen they are doubling down on all the stupid things nobody wants. I want a desktop OS that is debloated, fast, and has better media center and media converting abilities than 7, I could watch Cortana, Metro, their app store, mobile, and everything else go belly up and not give the slightest concern at all, nobody really wants these things at all besides a couple annoying and overly loud fringe customers.

It feels a bit soon, but the Windows 8 name has been tainted with all the bad press.

Windows 8 had a rocky start, and without a doubt there are issues to be resolved still, but it's a stable and fast operating system, and I have even have grown to semi-like metro(modern UI).

In regards to Metro(Modern UI) There is a program called modern mix that lets you use Windows 8 apps as normal desktop applications, so now I can use Plex, Netflix, iheartradio apps easily while multi-tasking. I hope they improve the modern UI as it could actually be really awesome if done correctly.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I have a feeling that modern ui isn't going to go away when they stated that there will be changes to modern ui in windows 9. I just hope that means it's disabled automaticly for none touch screen displays.

ultameca

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
@SteelCity1981 I just hope your wrong, I want the new UI on the desktop, I use it everyday for work and every night for play. People who hate windows 8 are just afraid of change and it's people like that who hold our society behind. Windows 8 is the only thing bringing me back to windows...

Normally, I'd gasp at the thought of another version of Windows so soon from Win8 release. But since Windows 8.x is such a huge FAIL at this point I won't balk. But if Windows 9 doesn't deliver and learn from Ballmer's mistakes (Vista/Win8/metro tiles) I feel like MS will end up falling from everyone's good graces. I usually defend MS but if Win9 is another MS mistake I may have to change my stance. We'll see...
Cry and moan about win8/Metro all that you want, but at least get your facts straight. Win8 has had a more successful life cycle than every other version of windows except for XP and 7, sure it was not exactly what they hoped for, but it was hardly a failure.
As much as I am not a fan of Balmer, many of the issues with Office, Windows, and their absolutely glacial pace towards making changes to anything were due to other department heads. Lo and behold, Balmer started pushing things ahead and firing people and he was forced out of his position and now Nadella gets all of the credit. Again, I cringe just as much as anyone else when Balmer opens his mouth, but he took a lot of flack for things that were simply not his fault.
The normal Windows release pace is 3 years. '95, '98, then a bit of a train wreck with ME/'00/XP all released back to back, then XP SP2 in '04 which everyone expected to be a new revision, then Vista in '07, Win7 in '09 (which was early after Vista bombed), Win8 in '12, and exactly 3 years later we are expecting Win9 in '15. There is no conspiracy, no cover up, outside of the odd merger and restructuring of ME/NT which resulted in XP, the only early release was Windows 7.
Win9 Professional may bring a business option which will hopefully include a more traditional start menu and floating metro apps, but more likely than not the default view will just be a more mature Metro style interface, and I would almost bet that the standard/home edition will not have the start menu and floating app option because many people actually like it. Sure, you and I don't, but most of my family and neighbors like it just fine once they used it for a while.

If the release of XB1 has taught us anything it is that MS listens to it's customers (or at least telemetry data). Not moving faster on making these changes to win8/9 is because the noisy people who continue throwing a fit about the Start Screen are in the minority... and I suspect a small minority at that.

I have a feeling that modern ui isn't going to go away when they stated that there will be changes to modern ui in windows 9. I just hope that means it's disabled automaticly for none touch screen displays.
If you saw the extremely brief demo of the Metro Start Menu at the Build conference you would have noticed that it was worded as being an optional feature. I would almost bet that we will see a more mature Metro interface for everyone by default, and Professional customers (not standard/home) will have an option for the more traditional start menu and floating apps.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I hope modern UI is even more integrated with the desktop component and there are more cloud data options available. As a person who uses multiple monitors I can see the benefit of using modern UI alongside the desktop so its a pity they are treated separately. I also like programing a CoreWindow more than an hWnd.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Perhaps this is true, but each release of Windows in the past (for the most part) offered dramatic improvement in performance and user interface. Aside from fixing a few UI issues (which were poorly designed from the start), what would be in a Windows 9 update that would justify the cost of an upgrade? If they think people aren't upgrading from XP as fast as they would like, people certainly aren't going to be upgrading from 8. Asking people to pay for changes that should have been made to begin with is laughable.

KRTERjk

Reputable
May 25, 2014
I don't really care, Windows 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... There are so many other better options, it is almost irrelevant. I use windows for one reason, Media Center. I do wish they would take care of it's known issues.

As far as Metro goes, I think, it's biggest problem are it's lack of good Apps.

Widows 8, biggest asset is the improved file explorer. I wish they would make a version like 7, but with Win 8's file explorer (that would be sweet). I suppose they could add a Metro option, to keep the fanboi's content.

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
"Windows 9 Rumored to be in Alpha Stage"
Windows 8 is still in pre-alpha stage as far as most customers/critics are concerned ...

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Widows 8, biggest asset is the improved file explorer. I wish they would make a version like 7, but with Win 8's file explorer (that would be sweet). I suppose they could add a Metro option, to keep the fanboi's content.
The UP button was on Explorer XP. There is an explorer replacement called "Better Explorer" - its free. It has styling like Win8, with UP button and includes TABS that can remember you last location after a reboot.

Funny thing about future Windows 8.2/9... Metro apps that run in a "Window"... OMG what would Microsoft come up next?!

sesam

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
@SteelCity1981 I just hope your wrong, I want the new UI on the desktop, I use it everyday for work and every night for play. People who hate windows 8 are just afraid of change and it's people like that who hold our society behind. Windows 8 is the only thing bringing me back to windows...

I think majority of people dislike Windows 8 because they just don't like how Metro, looks, feels and functions. Just look at the launch of Windows 95, the majority embraced the Start Menu, even though it was something completely new. Because the Start Menu was clearly more functional and intuitive than what we had before. So while some may be afraid of change, that is not the main reason why people don't like Windows 8 and Microsoft needs to realize that.

In fact I switched to Linux as my main operating system because of Windows 8. I no longer trust Microsoft with dictating my GUI experience. And on Linux, unless you like the default GUI that comes with your distro, you can change to a different one.

megiv

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
I'll upgrade only in terms that they bring back a DESKTOP MENU to DESKTOPS and not that awful-small-touch-screen-oriented metro UI.
I got 24" screen, I don't need to switch screens for menu. I got enough space !
MS - PC are not used the same way as mobiles. Accept it !

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009

Perhaps this is true, but each release of Windows in the past (for the most part) offered dramatic improvement in performance and user interface. Aside from fixing a few UI issues (which were poorly designed from the start), what would be in a Windows 9 update that would justify the cost of an upgrade? If they think people aren't upgrading from XP as fast as they would like, people certainly aren't going to be upgrading from 8. Asking people to pay for changes that should have been made to begin with is laughable.

Performance improvements, under the hood improvements and DirectX 12 together would justify the cost of an upgrade. But only if Microsoft doesn't screw up the UI too much.

Do you really think 95 was embraced due to the start menu? Heck, 95 wasn't all that well liked on the vocal online people, but those who did like 95, liked it for the graphical interface that was more than a shell on top of DOS. There were so many advances with 95 it's not funny, the start menu was just one of many changes.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

What exactly is 'better' about Windows 8 that is for the future? Touch on desktops? There is some improvements here and there but nothing substantial that would call a needed change.

But if you want to talk about people who are holding our society behind i could think of plenty of things that society could be using or doing (that are far more critically important) but Windows 8 isn't one of them. XP didn't hold back MS to release W7 or W8. MS could leave the start screen as an option and that's all people wanted with the start menu. People also expected to have the same mouse/keyboard experience with W8 and that's where MS didn't really focus on.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Justify it to whom? A few gamers looking for 1 fps and an extra GB of space on their SSD. The big picture is that most businesses and average users have just now started upgrading to Windows 8. Asking them to upgrade to 9 in a year would be a joke.

Actually, DX12, if it truly is as similar to Mantle as expected, should give monster boosts to all CPU bound games. Especially multiplayer games. If 30 FPS is your target, you might not care, but if you like higher FPS, you may see 50%-100% higher minimums in many games.

Dev's have hit a wall with DirectX and the CPU. One that is holding back gaming. DX12 is expected to rectify that with lighter draw calls and multithreading the frame generating thread.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

What does this have to do with paying for Windows 9? There is no evidence that DX12 wont be available on 8.x as well.

Has a new DirectX version ever come out on an existing OS with a new one coming to soon? History is pretty good evidence it will require a new OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS