Windows 95 Wont Run

Nate1n22

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
I am trying to install Windows 95 on my computer and I am getting the error:
Insufficient memory to initialize windows

How can I change this so it allows Windows 95 to install...

The computer had enough memory to istall Windows XP, so I find this error invalid.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Zoron has it right though I think 512 MB was a design limitation rather than a bug. When Win 95 came out RAM was measured in MB not GB. I had 16 MB of RAM and that was considered a large amount of memory back then. Now I have 16 GB. 98 SE can't read over 512 MB RAM from memory (my memory that is) so Win 95 wont have a chance. Win 95 still relied on part on DOS 7 for backwards compatibility and I think that the installer kicks off in DOS. DOS is well....DOS.

sdfox 7

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Are you getting the dreaded IOS error?

Windows 95 is very fast on hardware from 1998 and above, and I generally don't recommend more than 384MB RAM. It's likely that the motherboard won't cache the extra RAM and you could see performance suffer.

dtemple

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
Windows 95 doesn't cache memory above 64MB (and thus actually LOSES performance with higher amounts than that). Windows 9x/ME as a platform supports up to 512MB at the time of installation, and up to 2GB thereafter (with a few changes to startup files which limit the amount of memory that is being cached). If possible, remove RAM from your machine to get it down to 512MB or lower, then it'll install 95.