Windows 98/Me Alternatives

dcomander1

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Hi, im wondering if there are any Windows 98/Me alternatives available, since I have my own open source project going for a 98/Me alternative based on FreeDOS, and would like to see if my project is redundant. If so, ill look into alternatives, that I can help develop. If not, then thanks, ill continue my project.

Pointertovoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Free source initiatives are always nice and welcome...

But even I, with some stone-old hardware, won't change my OS any more. I stick at the ones I have for each machine, and these machines don't go on the Internet. So I fear you invest a huge time for very few users.

By the way, a Win95-98-Me is a huge project (and they don't base on DOS) which isn't enough. They would also need security software for instance, and an antivirus must be maintained on a daily basis.

Wouldn't you prefer to program something like this?
http://www.physforum.com/index.php?showtopic=24897
or like that?
http://saposjoint.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=1477
both are much easier and would be useful to more people, in my view.

dcomander1

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Free source initiatives are always nice and welcome...

But even I, with some stone-old hardware, won't change my OS any more. I stick at the ones I have for each machine, and these machines don't go on the Internet. So I fear you invest a huge time for very few users.

By the way, a Win95-98-Me is a huge project (and they don't base on DOS) which isn't enough. They would also need security software for instance, and an antivirus must be maintained on a daily basis.

Wouldn't you prefer to program something like this?
http://www.physforum.com/index.php?showtopic=24897
or like that?
http://saposjoint.net/Forum/viewto [...] =66&t=1477
both are much easier and would be useful to more people, in my view.

yeah, then again, as long as my OS is open source, and is an alternative to running windows 7 with its share of viruses, im sure Ill be getting quite a few, as linux was an option on netbooks, as vista wasn't as fast as XP or 7, and even 7 can't be as fast as XP on the same older and / or slower hardware, so if linux almost had the market, im sure mine will be a viable alternative to any version of windows, and since DOS is kind of like linux, as both are command line based, and both are very fast on all types of hardware, im sure newer technologies can be added. Viruses, and hackers on DOS or the 9x kernel, are few and far between, a simple OS based custom anti-virus and firewall, should be enough for now. Btw, the 2 links go to topics that I don't have any money for hardware or the programmers for, but will be considered as features in the future releases.

There are actually plently of viruses for the "9x kernel"... after all it was still Windows, still the most widely used platform at the time and so it had the majority of the viruses. The kernel itself is unstable on a good day, so you'd have to find a way to make a vast amount of improvement if you are focused on making a similar kernel.

As for Windows 7... it does run a lot better on older hardware than Vista did. The fact that it's coming preinstalled on netbooks should be enough proof of that. I wish I had the time to tinker more, but the limited time I have is focused upon my new hardware with newer OSes... I simply do not have enough time to tinker around with anything old anymore.

Ultimately, however, anything that deals with Win9x will be extremely niche... as newer technology already in place runs rings around anything 9x could do. People looking for Windows alternatives will turn to either Linux or MacOS. It may breathe life into really old hardware... but most people simply aren't interested or if they are, they will probably stick with Windows anyway.

There actually isn't a lot of difference in performance between Windows versions on the same hardware... as long as that hardware isn't too old. Computers capable of running Windows XP would likely run Windows 7 adequately... all but the oldest ones, at least.

vargad88

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
What is the propose of such operation system?
I don't think that writing a Windows 98 clone on the top of FreeDOS is a good idea. _Every_ major application dropped Windows 98 support as it has many design error. There are no drivers for Windows 98, non of the new compters could run Windows 98.
Such operation system won't be quite useful. If you want to use old applications that has problems with Windows NT kernel you should hack Wine to run that applicaton instead, it is much easyer than reimplement a crap operation system. Or maybe you could help ReactOS development to make a better NT kernel which could run your old app.