[SOLVED] Windows 98SE boots to blinking cursor in corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spatialflunky1

Honorable
BANNED
Apr 16, 2019
I am trying to install windows 98SE on newer hardware but after the two restarts in setup windows 98 tries to boot and just hangs on a blinking cursor in the top left corner. I am able to boot to safe mode and i have tried the System File Checker (SFC.exe) and it found 1 wrong file but it didn't help. I tried using fdisk /mbr and it said nothing so i think it worked but idk, it still didn't boot. i have also tried chkdsk but that found nothing. in my bios i have disabled hyper threading for my processor, still did nothing. I have tried using msconfig to disable everything on startup but systray but again it did nothing. I also put MaxPhysPage=20000 in in [enh386] section of the system.ini. I really want to get this fixed and install windows 98 on my pc.

Specs:
Dell optiplex 360
1 gb of ram
using motherboard vga
intel core 2 duo

Solution
Installation on newer hardware is going to be very hit or miss (heavy on the miss). If you are really hung up on using Windows 98 then locating hardware from the appropriate era is going to be your best bet. Either that or VMWare or VirtualBox
Installation on newer hardware is going to be very hit or miss (heavy on the miss). If you are really hung up on using Windows 98 then locating hardware from the appropriate era is going to be your best bet. Either that or VMWare or VirtualBox

Solution

Spatialflunky1

Honorable
BANNED
Apr 16, 2019
Im getting a period correct windows 98 pc in like 2 weeks so i will install it on there anyways but i wanted to install it on the new hardware but since it cant i'll just focus my attention to the period correct machine

Status
Not open for further replies.