Question Windows 98SE system compatibility

Apr 16, 2019
Hi!

I decided to build a Windows 98SE system and started buying various parts from the Internet. First things first, so I begun with the processor and the motherboard, which I checked for compatibility using the following criteria:

1. The CPU has to be officially compatible with the motherboard
  2. There must be Windows 98SE drivers for the motherboard available
I think these are enough but I may prove wrong so I ask you if there is anything more I should have taken care of.

Hardware Information

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 Prescott, 2.40 GHz, socket 478, FSB 400/533/800
Motherboard: Asus P4V800D-X, socket 478

Quarkzquarkz

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
My God, Windows 98SE?! I must salute you since the last time I remember fiddling with those I was a freshman in High School. Don't forget your Sound Blaster Creative Labs if you're going for the ultimate experience with sound fidelity during that era as well. And don't forget your mechanical drive and the good ol' internal CD-ROM optical drive! :D

Apr 16, 2019
The project continues. I bought the CPU and Motherboard mentioned above and now I am looking for a suitable Graphics Card. One that I have spotted is MSI GeForce 5500 FX AGP 256MB, since cards with 512MB or more will almost certainly cause problems with Windows 98.

The problem is that when I looked into the web for more info, I found out that there are two different pictures about that particular card:

Picture 1

Picture 2

The card I am looking to buy is from picture 2. When I go to MSI official site and type 'MSI GeForce 5500 FX AGP 256MB' the first card appears and there are Windows 98SE drivers available for download. However, the seller informed me that the card's box mentions only Windows XP and Windows Vista as compatible OS.

I suppose I run into two different versions of the same card, one with cooler and one with heat sink but my logic says that all other aspects (chip, etc) must be the same (though I also notice different capacitors, etc).

How can I know if the card is compatible with Windows 98SE?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Looks to be just the difference between the US and UK versions of the same card. I wouldn't be concerned about it. I'd be more concerned about your processor/motherboard. Are you certain you have the Prescott version of the processor or the Northwood version (90nm vs 130nm)?

-Wolf sends

Apr 16, 2019
Interesting... hadn't noticed that there were two versions of the same card.

I am already there, only the mouse and CD-Rom remain to be bought. Any IDE CD-Rom would do? Or not?

ASK THE COMMUNITY