cg

I work for a company and we installed Windows XP 3 years ago with no service
packs and now the PC's that havent been upgraded with Service Packs 1 or 2
have started to ask for Windows to be activated again, even though this was
done 3 years ago. Does anyone know why this has started to happen?

"CG" <CG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I work for a company and we installed Windows XP 3 years ago with no service
>packs and now the PC's that havent been upgraded with Service Packs 1 or 2
>have started to ask for Windows to be activated again, even though this was
>done 3 years ago. Does anyone know why this has started to happen?

I presume that your PCs are totally isolated from the Internet, and
that no computers that have been connected to the Internet are allowed
to connect to your network? A number of networks have had
catastrophic failures because somebody took a laptop home and used it
to surf the net and then brought it back to the office and connected
it to the network.

These machines that are requesting reactivation - has the hardware
been changed in any way, or the BIOS flashed?

Were the activation control files (WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK) somehow
deleted or corrupted?

See the article on Activation by the late Alex Nichol, MVP at
http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm It explains just what hardware items
are monitored by activation and how cumulative changes in the hardware
can trigger the requirement to reactivate.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--