I just bought a HP computer media center, it comes with Windows XP SP2. I
don't remember if I did the activation process. How can I know if I already
registered my Windows??
--
Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards
jacelorio

Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Activate Windows. If you're already activated, it will tell you.

Alternatively, click Start, Run and enter C:\WINDOWS\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a to start the Activation wizard.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"jacelorio" <jacelorio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E06460E-FF93-499A-B4BC-9B6891C13C84@microsoft.com...
>I just bought a HP computer media center, it comes with Windows XP SP2. I
> don't remember if I did the activation process. How can I know if I already
> registered my Windows??
> --
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Regards
> jacelorio

More than likely, a name-brand PC (HP) will have a pre-registered XP
installed.

"jacelorio" <jacelorio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a HP computer media center, it comes with Windows XP SP2. I
> don't remember if I did the activation process. How can I know if I
> already
> registered my Windows??
> --
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Regards
> jacelorio

Ed

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 09:51:02 -0700, jacelorio
<jacelorio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> How can I know if I already
>registered my Windows??

Actually, I believe the HP as with Dell, Gateway, EMachine, Compaq and
all those other Taiwanese junk machines with American company names
painted on the boxes have what is called a Bios Branded version of the
OS which doesn't need to be activated.

Regards,
Ed

You will be completely hassled if you haven't.

--
George Hester
_________________________________

jacelorio wrote:
> I just bought a HP computer media center, it comes with Windows XP SP2. I
> don't remember if I did the activation process. How can I know if I already
> registered my Windows??

OEM operating systems are typically either pre-activated at the
factory or are BIOS-locked and do not required activation as long as
they're installed on the computer with which they're sold.

The OS will let you know, with frequent (several times a day)
reminders, if you do need to activate. To check for yourself, Start >
All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Activate Windows.
Alternatively, Start > Run > "C:\Windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /A."
It will probably tell you that WinXP has already been activated.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Bruce Chambers <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

>jacelorio wrote:
>> I just bought a HP computer media center, it comes with Windows XP SP2. I
>> don't remember if I did the activation process. How can I know if I already
>> registered my Windows??
>

> OEM operating systems are typically either pre-activated at the
>factory or are BIOS-locked and do not required activation as long as
>they're installed on the computer with which they're sold.
>
> The OS will let you know, with frequent (several times a day)
>reminders, if you do need to activate. To check for yourself, Start >
>All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Activate Windows.
>Alternatively, Start > Run > "C:\Windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /A."
>It will probably tell you that WinXP has already been activated.

Just one added comment. A BIOS Locked OEM version will not have an
Activate Windows item in the Accessories - System Tools menu. This is
normal and expected with this type of OEM version. Generic OEM
versions (and BIOS Locked OEM versions that had the motherboards
replaced prior to 1 March 2005) will have the Activate Windows menu
entry.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP