Question Windows activation

steelrfan85

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I have a windows 7 home premium 64 bit system builders disc. I used to have an old asus motherboard. I just installed a new motherboard. Am I able to use the same product key or do I have to buy another disc? If I need to buy another disc where can I get one. I’m trying to get today if possible.

Reactions: Banned by Net

bob12345676

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
You should be able to use the product key however I would suggest upgrading to windows 10. If you use windows 7 you will have to pay if you want security updates. You can usually get it for fairly cheap off a number of websites. Just make sure their are reviews on where you buy it for and make sure it is reputable.

bignastyid

Titan
Windows 7 is not officially supported on newer hardware. Even of you do jump through all the hoops required to get it installed updates will get disabled and leave you vulnerable to new security risks. You might be better off installing 10 then running an older OS in a VM for your old software or finding updated or alternative software that is compatible with win 10.

Reactions: Banned by Net

bob12345676

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
The windows 10 would be used for your games and other things and the Virtual Machine would be used to run the program that only runs on windows 7. For your question on why install windows 10 if you use windows 7 for your program having windows 10 will allow you to get security updates while still being able to use that program. Then you could use windows 10 for everything except that program that only works on windows 7 and you would be able to have all your security updates for your computer and you would still be able to not have to pay for the security updates.