Question Windows always crashes, and I am forced to reinstall.

OkithaPROGZ

Prominent
Mar 22, 2020
Hi guys,

So this is not something that happened in 1 or 2 days but in a matter of a year or more, before I start here are the specs of my pc.

Dell Optiplex 9010
i7 - 3770k
10gb DDR3 Ram
1TB Seagate HDD
500W PSU.

So this problem started in the start of 2021, and upto now I have reinstalled windows a total of 8 times or so.

It first started crashing in January and stopped booting altogether. It was a dead HDD, so I got a brand new one, the Seagate I currently use.

Later I installed Assasins Creed game, and after installation it works fine everything is good, but first restart it crashes, I reinstalled windows 2 times because I couldn't figure out the problem.

Then a few months later it showed a blue screen error as "Critical Process Died", I tried everything in the web, Chkdsk, sfc/scannow and many other stuff, but after a few days of this error showing up when I work on the PC, I re-installed once again.

Later quite recently my HDD started making a weird sound, to describe it, it was like making a slow whirring sound every now and then, I suspicioned the PSU so I connected an external power source solely for the HDD till I got a replacement PSU, anyways I got my replacement, everything was working absolutely fine.

Then it crashed again, I don't remember the details and I by mistakenly deleted the boot order while messing in Windows PE cmd. All my recovery drives were UEFI but my HDD is an MBR legacy disk so no luck there.

After that I reinstalled again from scratch and it worked fine until around 2 weeks ago, when I launched valorant it threw me and error. I couldn't fix it, but I wasn't worried about windows as this time I had connected a spare working 250gb HDD and put a full recovery of C drive after installation of Windows. Again some error came up, Windows got corrupted, and I went to hit the recovery. In the middle of the recovery there was an error, and windows stopped booting altogether. And I was surprised to see the next time I installed windows that my C partition was only 2gb, when it was supposed to be way more than that.

Long story short, reinstalled windows again and because of my suspicions I didn't install any of my usual apps other than my Adobe applications. So it was running the normal browsers, vlc, spotify and stuff. Its been going steady for 2 weeks but since 4 days ago my HDD makes that weird noise again, and sure enough if I launch a game or run a heavy program it crashes with BSOD "Memory Management". I ran memtestx86 but there wasn't anything wrong with ram. It temporarily got fixed if I went to Windows PE env and ran CHKDSK from there, boot into safemode and run Sfc/scannow. When I do this It works fine, but the next restart its done for.

I also have to tell you that I have an i5-3300U laptop that runs the exact same and more applications that run in my pc, including all games on it and it works fine. No lag, no crashing, perfect. I do not know why this is happening. I will try installing Windows once again when it crashes unrecoverable, and if it doesn't work I am just going to try to get used to Linux.

Please guys, I want your help, send me stuff to try out before this copy of windows goes boom too. I have nothing to lose, no data in my C drive at all, and I have my laptop for my work. So please, tell me anything to fix it.

I also installed PrimeOS on that spare 200gb HDD I talked abt earlier, and have to note it runs smoothly no crashes and stuff, and maybe I'll try installing Windows there.

This is wild guessing as there is nothing I can find related to these random crashes other than Intel HD 4000 driver, I downloaded it from the official website which my pc's serial is registered to. But my laptop has the old driver and it works fine. This is just guessing but thought you should know.

Thanks

really thank you so much.

Lutfij

Titan
Your specs seem to be incomplete. Can you please parse the make and model of the PSU? 500W is the advertised wattage of the unit. We're also going to need to know the age of the unit. Out of curiosity, how do you have 10GB's of ram on your platform? Mind sharing the make and model of the sticks?

As for your OS, where did you source the installer for the OS? For all intents and purposes, it'd be a good idea to invest into an SSD for that prebuilt to breath some life into it.

Reactions: Cj-tech

OkithaPROGZ

Prominent
Mar 22, 2020
Something is killing the drives and PSU is a good place to look, especially if its still the original one.

Windows doesn't just kill itself after a few days, it needs help.

Ty for your reply. It's a brand new working PSU and the wattage is more than enough.

OkithaPROGZ

Prominent
Mar 22, 2020
Your specs seem to be incomplete. Can you please parse the make and model of the PSU? 500W is the advertised wattage of the unit. We're also going to need to know the age of the unit. Out of curiosity, how do you have 10GB's of ram on your platform? Mind sharing the make and model of the sticks?

As for your OS, where did you source the installer for the OS? For all intents and purposes, it'd be a good idea to invest into an SSD for that prebuilt to breath some life into it.
I have one kingston 4gb
and 3x Kingston 2gb.

The whole pc is over 9 years old now. It came stock 4gb ram and 250W PSU.

Im sorry but the model of the PSU I will tell you when i remove the case. If you really thing its a PSU issue, I could give an external power supply solely to the HDD only. I haven't tried it because I replaced the PSU.

The OS is an original Windows 8 CD and then I got the free update to 10. Its automatically activated and everything, no product keys and stuff.

I'm sorry but im broke, like real broke rn. I am using a 3rd gen I really have to upgrade but I have no money, so I have to put up with these two for now

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS