Question Windows asking me to connect to usb 3.0 even though i connected to usb 3.1 port

Mar 30, 2019
I connected my portable hard drive to USB 3.1 but windows asking me to connect with a USB 3.0, my hard drive USB 3.1 compatible, I also tried to connect to USB 3.0 but the same thing happing

Q2XuHab.jpg
iA67NvH.jpg

Is it 3.1 Gen 1 or Gen 2? If it's 3.1 Gen 1 then it's literally USB 3.0, simply using a different name.

Both devices have to be USB 3.1 Gen 2 compatible to use the theoretical max. speed.

Why Windows even mentions the possible better speed on 3.0 while it's a 3.1 device (generation irrelevant at this point) makes no sense to me. Maybe it's got to do with the fact it shows up under the PCI-to-PCI bridge, that doesn't seem logical to me. Does it at all show up under Disk Drives?

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019
Is it 3.1 Gen 1 or Gen 2? If it's 3.1 Gen 1 then it's literally USB 3.0, simply using a different name.

Both devices have to be USB 3.1 Gen 2 compatible to use the theoretical max. speed.

Why Windows even mentions the possible better speed on 3.0 while it's a 3.1 device (generation irrelevant at this point) makes no sense to me. Maybe it's got to do with the fact it shows up under the PCI-to-PCI bridge, that doesn't seem logical to me. Does it at all show up under Disk Drives?
yes
kk1bDNi.jpg

How old is this thing? It is definitely not performing like it should. Does it have a regular USB-A port or is it a USB-C device? Have you tried using it on a different computer? It's silly that it reaches a higher speed on USB 2.0 ports.

Have you updated any of your motherboard drivers? Intel Chipset drivers installed correctly? IRST installed?