Question Windows automatic licence activation with Microsoft sign in?

Apr 29, 2020
Hi everyone,

I have just set up a laptop for someone to allow them to keep in touch with people at the moment. After installing Windows 10 home on a newly formatted drive with the USB tool I skipped activation intending to deal with that later and logged into my Microsoft account to set up Chrome Gmail Skype etc for them (They are very tech illiterate) I then logged out signing in with a local account with their name and no password. I was then surprised to find that Windows was fully activated without a key and I could only assume logging into my Microsoft account did this.

What affect will this have? Will it snap out of it and deregister it in a few hours? Or have I struck one off an "install count" or something tied to my account? I have multiple other devices activated with Windows keys but thought they were only one device use.

I have Googled extensively and struggled to demystify this so I hope some of you can help. Just want to know where I stand and if I have somehow lost out/lucked out/need to take some action.

Apr 29, 2020
What OS was installed originally?
I've done more research specific to "digital licenses" and it looks like Windows will automatically activate from a "fingerprint" left on the hardware of the device not the Microsoft account logged in with. However this doesn't really make sense as the original Windows 7 install was formatted and was marked as non genuine in the first place? :/

What is the make and model of the Laptop? Do you know it's history? I'm sure it had a legitimate version of Windows on it at one time. Perhaps someone upgraded it to Windows 10 before, didn't like it and tried to revert it back to Windows 7 with an illegitimate COA. Just a thought..

Apr 29, 2020
What is the make and model of the Laptop? Do you know it's history? I'm sure it had a legitimate version of Windows on it at one time. Perhaps someone upgraded it to Windows 10 before, didn't like it and tried to revert it back to Windows 7 with an illegitimate COA. Just a thought..
It is an Acer Aspire 5733 but no I do not know any of its history. I was given it by a parents friend who I have no other link to. My only concern is that I have somehow accidentally burned a license or the device will stop functioning after I give it to someone. Your theory seems plausible and is the only thing that seems to make any sense so looks like I can rest easy. :') Thank you!

Apr 29, 2020
Login to your Microsoft account' devices page, anc see what is registered there.
No mention of the device in my Microsoft account. Looks like Windows has somehow grabbed a key from a fingerprint on the motherboard or something from the last install before it somehow became illegitimate as onespeedbiker suggests. Very odd but now I'm fairly sure I haven't accidentally given away a license and it won't stop working for the person I am giving it to so all seems well. Thank you :)