[SOLVED] Windows Automatic Repair loop

Jun 1, 2020
When I tried to start my PC today, I got to a screen that said: "Automatic Repair: your pc did not start correctly." I can then choose to either restart or press Advanced options which brings me to a page where I can boot from a device (tried that) or troubleshoot. I can reset my pc but this will cause me to lose all programs and I want to avoid this at all costs. I can also choose to go to another advanced options page where I can choose to "Start-up Repair", "Uninstall Updates", "System Restore", "Command Prompt", "UEFI Firmware Settings", "Start-up Settings" and "System Image Recovery". I have basically tried everything and followed a lot of tutorials on both youtube and other forums. However, none of these seem to work for me. I also tried to reinstall Windows 10 but I can only choose custom install as the upgrade option "isn't available if you start your computer using Windows installation media."

Is there any way to fix this by either doing something in the start-up menu or reinstalling Windows without losing any data? Thanks!!

EDIT: I have tried restoring backups and it used to not work, it just brought me back to the Automatic repair page. Now I get a screen that says:
"There was an unexpected error:
The configuration database is corrupt. (0x800703F1)
Please close System Restore and try again."

I tried running sfc /scannow through the console but it keeps giving me an error, "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

Last edited:
Solution
I would try booting to memtest live cd/usb and test your memory. For some reason I'm suspecting memory errors are at the root of these issues.
Jun 1, 2020
Do you have anything connected in the usb ports? Remove them and try again. I've run into this once when I had an external drive plugged in while booting. Removed the drive and booted fine!
Yeah, I tried that but it didn't do anything. Thx for the help though!

Jun 1, 2020
I would try booting to memtest live cd/usb and test your memory. For some reason I'm suspecting memory errors are at the root of these issues.
I have a feeling that you're right. I will try this tomorrow when I have time, I will let you know if it worked. Thanks for the help!

Jun 1, 2020
I just ran it through the test, 4/4 passes and 0 errors :(
I'm pretty sure the problem is hardware related as restoring files from 2 weeks ago doesn't work. Is there any sort of diagnostic tool I can boot in to?

EDIT: I just started my PC and tried booting it into safe mode, it went to BIOS and the screen was super glitchy

- Something is definitely wrong with my GPU, screen is glitching and I tried opening some programs in safe mode and it says that I do not have enough ram. I've got a RTX 2070 installed so I do not think I lack vram lol.

- I went into device manager and apparently windows has stopped it because it reported problems (code 43)

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020
Yep, 100% the GPU. I removed it and everything works fine, except that I am now running on intel integrated graphics ;). I send the GPU back to the shop where I bought it as I still have 8 months left on my guarantee. Thanks for the help!