Windows automatic updates

ema21del9

Reputable
May 23, 2016
So I have 2 laptops, one of them is a little old (Intel i3 3rd gen and 4gb RAM), I use this one for work and have Linux + Windows 10 installed, the other one is a Lenovo y50-70 with Windows 10 also that I use for media and gaming.

The second laptop I have set the "measured" option in internet connection to prevent Windows to auto-update itself because my other laptop is constantly updating and it's really annoying and my internet is only 6mbps.

The real question is, I've realized that every time the OS gets an updates it becomes "a little slower" than before, is this ok? I've even tried reinstalling the whole Windows 10 and still the same, for Linux and Windows 7 this never happened.

Any thought?

Sammyjo201

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015

Try running a program like CCleaner. It will clean up any cache left behind from Windows update, Google Chrome and things like that. It can improve performance quite well. Each night I run it and it cleans about 500-700mb. :)

You can always also try defragging your hard drive as well. That might fix some speed issues.

- Sam

ema21del9

Reputable
May 23, 2016

Already tried CCleaner and defrag tool hehe, also tried to turn off some services from startup that I don't need, nothing seems to work. I wonder if it's a Windows issue or just me.

Sammyjo201

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Could be just you mate, but it could generally be the updates. You can probably find a registry hack or tool to stop windows updates completely.

Side note, when I update my PC, the first "Restart" after the update is always slower, apps seem to load slower and stuff like that, but after I reboot, it's right as rain (But I have an SSD xD)

ema21del9

Reputable
May 23, 2016

Another question then, I know that updates solve bugs, sometimes adds features and also fix vulnerability issues. Since I'm not a "Windows guys" I always disable the updates and I never had issues using the OS "outdated", are they really necessary?