[SOLVED] Windows Automatically creating page file by it's own

Aug 7, 2021
Hi,

I recently changed my default Pagefile location from the System Drive (C: drive) to another drive on my laptop because I was running out of storage.

I set the page file on the E: drive, however everytime I reboot, windows just keeps making a "temporary paging file" because of a problem that occurred with my paging file when starting the laptop.

The reason I tried to move the Pagefile is because my system drive is only 56GB (eMMC, unremovable and cannot be upgraded)
So I tried moving it to my 200GB SSD that was on my laptop, but it keeps making another pagefile everytime I reboot on C: drive.

I need a solution for this ASAP.

Solution
change the page file location to where you want it.
go into start menu
open power (like you would to shut down)
click restart

there may not appear to be a difference but if you have fast startup on, the only time your PC is actually off is during a restart. It should reset all values in ram and could actually make it remember your changes.

if that fixes it, it must have been a change that wasn't saved into the hiberfil.sys file that is used to tell windows what to load on startup.

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you scanned the 200gb ssd to make sure its okay?

Windows should know to follow the settings you set, not create a new one. So it makes me wonder if the ssd is okay

Is this windows 10?

reboot? do you mean turn pc off or use the restart option in power menu??

Aug 7, 2021
I scanned the SSD but it was fine, no errors.
Checked the system integrity by running sfc command line and chkdsk as well, everything was normal

Yes, this is windows 10

By reboot I mean turning off and on the PC, sorry for the confusion

Colif

Win 11 Master
go into start menu
click restart

there may not appear to be a difference but if you have fast startup on, the only time your PC is actually off is during a restart. It should reset all values in ram and could actually make it remember your changes.

if that fixes it, it must have been a change that wasn't saved into the hiberfil.sys file that is used to tell windows what to load on startup.

Solution
Aug 7, 2021
go into start menu
click restart

I tried that but unfortunately it didn't worked, it keeps making another Pagefile on C:
Should I delete the pagefiles manually?

Aug 7, 2021
Well, thats an issue.
A 1GB pagefile may not be adequate.
Possibly try it at 2GB.

But given the limitations of this system, you're pretty stuck in what you can do and what the hardware and OS will allow you to do.

Well, it's a budget student laptop so the specs are pretty bad.
I'll try the method you suggested.
However there's only 9GB of free storage left on my C: drive, so I'm trying to move it to another drive to ensure the OS is running smoothly

USAFRet

Titan
I've done that even before the issue considering there was only 56GB of storage for the system.
I moved every app I could move and installed it on another drive as well.
What do you use this system for?
Yeah, that drive is pretty much TooSMall for any real use.

Install and run either WinDirStat, or WizTree.

Run as Administrator, selecting only the drive in question.
Post a screencap here.

Also, a screencap of your Disk Management window.

Well, it's a budget student laptop so the specs are pretty bad.
I'll try the method you suggested.
However there's only 9GB of free storage left on my C: drive, so I'm trying to move it to another drive to ensure the OS is running smoothly
With the small ram and storage your in for a fight.....cleaning.
Turn off restore points.
Run a pass of disk cleanup and click the system files button.