[SOLVED] Windows autoplay keeps popping up with a certain drive ?

je1983

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2016
I have a portable 2tb WD My Passport external drive, which is one of many connected to my pc at any time. This particular drive, will occassionally pop up in the autoplay menu when a drive is first plugged into a windows pc. I thought I had remedied it by setting the sleep settings but it still happens occasionally. Today it happened twice in a two hour period. All my other external drives, 2 powered and two or three others that are 2.5'' drvies, including another wd of the same series don't exhibit this behaviour ?

I'm worried this could be a sign of failure, it's only a year or so old, no problems detected from speccy and the transfer speeds are fine.

Solution
If you have a number of external drives connected to the system, it's a good idea to isolate al drives and leave only the Passport drive connected and see if the issue crops up. You can then begin adding more external drives to the system to see if the issue crops up only when a certain umber of drives are plugged to the system to perhaps trigger a drive disconnect/reconnect scenario. if the latter is what's happening it's possible that your USB ports are unable to deliver power to all external drives.

On a side note, I'd personally advise on having your external drives connected to the system only when you need to access them, as opposed to having drives connected to the USB ports at all times.

Make and model of your motherboard, PSU...

Lutfij

Titan
If you have a number of external drives connected to the system, it's a good idea to isolate al drives and leave only the Passport drive connected and see if the issue crops up. You can then begin adding more external drives to the system to see if the issue crops up only when a certain umber of drives are plugged to the system to perhaps trigger a drive disconnect/reconnect scenario. if the latter is what's happening it's possible that your USB ports are unable to deliver power to all external drives.

On a side note, I'd personally advise on having your external drives connected to the system only when you need to access them, as opposed to having drives connected to the USB ports at all times.

Make and model of your motherboard, PSU and it's age and the number of USB devices in your setup?

Solution