Windows based firewall

I need to replace my current router as it is malfunctioning. I have
to say I am having a hard tim finding a hardware router that has the
features I am looking for. Especially ones with good reviews. So it got
me to thinking about taking one of my older PC's (700 MHz PIII) and
using it as a firewall. I figured I could install two network cards in
the PC where for the WAN (Internet) and one for my LAN (goes to a
switch). I was hoping people might have some recomendations on what
firewall software to use. I know there are many Linux apps out there
that would fit the bill but since I am much more familiar with with
Winodws I would rather use it as an OS for the firewall machine. Also I
would not be using the PC for anything other than a firewall, with the
exception of a VPN server if need be. These are the things I need to
accomplish.

1) Share Internet connection
2) Allow secure VPN access to the LAN from the WAN. Does not have to
be part of the firewall package (thought that would be nice), but
rather needs to support full VPN passthrough.
3) Port mapping and redirection
4) DHCP server capability

Thanks for any suggestions!

- Dwok

Smoothwall will do everything you ask...but will require a couple of
modifications to be installed as well.

However, Smoothwall is most definitely Linux...though you only really
interact through a GUI in your browser window.

I have not personally heard of a comparable Window based solution, but
just contemplating the possibility brings a frown. The whole premise
behind a software package like Smoothwall, is to strip the system down
to the very bone...leaving only enough code to accomplish the task and
no more. It seems to me that ANY Windows based solution would be
unnecessarily bloated.

Jeff

"dwok" <derek@wubbafish.net> wrote in news:1124472230.896872.12990
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I need to replace my current router as it is malfunctioning. I have
> to say I am having a hard tim finding a hardware router that has the
> features I am looking for. Especially ones with good reviews. So it got
> me to thinking about taking one of my older PC's (700 MHz PIII) and
> using it as a firewall. I figured I could install two network cards in
> the PC where for the WAN (Internet) and one for my LAN (goes to a
> switch). I was hoping people might have some recomendations on what
> firewall software to use. I know there are many Linux apps out there
> that would fit the bill but since I am much more familiar with with
> Winodws I would rather use it as an OS for the firewall machine. Also I
> would not be using the PC for anything other than a firewall, with the
> exception of a VPN server if need be. These are the things I need to
> accomplish.
>
> 1) Share Internet connection
> 2) Allow secure VPN access to the LAN from the WAN. Does not have to
> be part of the firewall package (thought that would be nice), but
> rather needs to support full VPN passthrough.
> 3) Port mapping and redirection
> 4) DHCP server capability
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!
>
> - Dwok

You may want to look at Intergate. I installed the full trial version of
Intergate on a Win 2K server a couple of years ago just to see what it was
all about. I have to say I was impressed with the product. However, I did
not get too deep into the product and moved on.

It was only cost $99 at the time.

http://www.vicomsoft.com/vig/spec/vig.spec.win.html

Duane :)

In article <1124472230.896872.12990@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
derek@wubbafish.net says...
> I need to replace my current router as it is malfunctioning. I have
> to say I am having a hard tim finding a hardware router that has the
> features I am looking for. Especially ones with good reviews. So it got
> me to thinking about taking one of my older PC's (700 MHz PIII) and
> using it as a firewall. I figured I could install two network cards in
> the PC where for the WAN (Internet) and one for my LAN (goes to a
> switch). I was hoping people might have some recomendations on what
> firewall software to use. I know there are many Linux apps out there
> that would fit the bill but since I am much more familiar with with
> Winodws I would rather use it as an OS for the firewall machine. Also I
> would not be using the PC for anything other than a firewall, with the
> exception of a VPN server if need be. These are the things I need to
> accomplish.
>
> 1) Share Internet connection
> 2) Allow secure VPN access to the LAN from the WAN. Does not have to
> be part of the firewall package (thought that would be nice), but
> rather needs to support full VPN passthrough.
> 3) Port mapping and redirection
> 4) DHCP server capability
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!

Almost any NAT box will do what you want - some have specific
instructions on allowing INBOUND VPN (PPTP), but just about every NAT
router on the market will do what you ask for.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Frankster

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

http://www.kerio.com/kwf_home.html

Not cheap, but good.

-Frank

Frankster <Frank@spam2trash.com> wrote:
> http://www.kerio.com/kwf_home.html
> Not cheap, but good.

But it can do nothing to improve security compared with the
Windows-Firewall. So why paying money?

Yours,
VB.
deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"

Frankster

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

MS Windows firewall is a personal firewall. Kerio Winroute Firewall is an
enterprise level network firewall. Not in the same category.

-Frank

"Volker Birk" <bumens@dingens.org> wrote in message
> Frankster <Frank@spam2trash.com> wrote:
>> http://www.kerio.com/kwf_home.html
>> Not cheap, but good.
>
> But it can do nothing to improve security compared with the
> Windows-Firewall. So why paying money?
>
> Yours,
> VB.
> --
> "Es kann nicht sein, dass die Frustrierten in Rom bestimmen, was in
> deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
> Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have learned a lot and got a lot
of good suggestions on different products. Thanks again!

- Dwok