Windows became very slow after windows 8.1 update

vezikon

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013
I updated my windows 8 last night to 8.1 .. my PC became very slow .. it's takes for ever to boot up and to shut down .. everything need to wait to work .. can anyone help me ?

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I am having a similar issue when I wake from suspend/sleep on my Lenovo Yoga 11s. I have to wait about 10 seconds for it to become responsive. I don't have any issues with restart or shutdown however.

I'll post back if I find any solutions.

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
My standby/suspend issue was solved by reinstalling my video drivers (intel hd 4000) it prompted me that I was "downgrading" to an older version, but it was the most current version both Lenovo and intel offered on their websites.

WilliamAT

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
My laptop was suffering extreme slowness of booting, as well as black screen issues that froze the machine.
Followed the advice seen in another forum and uninstalled the video driver, then rebooted.

Wow!! Now boots faster than ever it did with Win 7 or Win 8.

Bill

Ted Logan

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013

Will you detail the "other forum" and the steps that you took?

Thank you

Ted

aspiringpctech74

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

I'm curious as to which video driver and exactly how this solved the problem. I'm also experiencing incredible slowness after installing 8.1 yesterday and am hoping for a solution other than rolling back to 8. If anyone does find a working solution, please post details. Thanks!

Al Bedo

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013

Judging by the other replies, there may be several causes. In my case it turned out to be Norton Internet Security 2014 (version 21.1.0.18). I had upgraded from NIS2013 to NIS2014 just after upgrading the operating system from Win8.0 Pro to Win8.1 Pro a couple of weeks ago, and everything seemed to be okay. The extreme slow-down seemed to begin immediately following the Windows updates which were released earlier this week. I noticed that the hard-drive light appeared to remain on nearly full-time, and everything from booting to accessing local folders, email or the web became extremely slow.

I tried several of the fixes recommended by others, without success. I then began receiving on-screen warnings from Symantec which eventually required manually uninstalling and reinstalling NIS. After doing so, everything is back to normal speed.

Good Luck!

wizac

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
Hi.. Friends
as every1 knows that windows 8.1 still facing issues coz its trial released by windows without bug fix..
so better uninstall updates from ur laptops/ PCs the same I did wid my laptop and it working perfectly and fine now..
u may can get to know how to uninstall updates from windows site.

cal90

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
I downgraded to windows 7 because of all the issues. I like the modern interface (to an extent) however all my games lost support for my game pad and mouse, that and there other issues eg slow boot slow shutdown. software incompatibilities for example I have a blackberry z10 but I cant connect it to my laptop with windows 8.1 because it results in a bsod, and other hardware no longer having support and for some reason a 99% cpu spike......

hokiemas

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
I upgraded to 8.1 last night and my shutdowns were taking 5 minutes or more. I associated with the upgrade, but nothing I did would fix it. Finally I did the only thing I hadn't tried, turning off the bluetooth (I had turned it on after the upgrade), and my shutdowns and startups started taking 20 seconds. Before, it would get to a black screen fairly quickly, but the power button would stay lit up for 5 minutes after that. Now from the moment I hit shut down to when the light goes out is 20 seconds or less. That doesn't make this okay because I shouldn't have to switch my bluetooth off before shutting down each time, but at least my new laptop is fast again.

abec

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014

same problem with me in windows 8.1.
this happen after windows update last month.
need to turn off bluetooth to fix this shutdown problem.
wireless also mess up after windows update.

hokiemas

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

I was actually able to fix this. I uninstalled my bluetooth drivers, removing them completely from my laptop. Then, when I restarted the computer, I went to the Asus support site and downloaded the latest Qualcomm bluetooth drivers. I then restarted the computer again. Now I have fast shutdowns and startups, and I don't have to turn off my bluetooth. My bluetooth is working perfectly, and the computer is shutting down and starting up quickly. I have no idea why this was an issue, but it appears to have been fixed. I figured this out about a week ago, and so far, so good.

VerSeg

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
Simple solution ...
Do not use the shutdown of the added Start button in Windows 8.1, this will not initiate a fast boot afterwards!
Use the shutdown as in Windows 8 via the Charms bar at the right side or the power button of your computer, at next boot the computer will start with the fast boot option enabled and everything will be fast.

GRuddell

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

I finally decided to update my 3rd gen/i5/HD4000 Acer from 8.0 to 8.1. Same problem... super slow. Thought I had a virus. Ruled that out and Googled the issue. You guys are right. Now faster than ever by reinstalling the HD4000 graphics driver from the Intel site.
Even more intriguing? How come you guys can work it out and Microsoft (even with thousands of hours of testing) didn't even notice.....hmmmmmm.
Gary.

StoneWolfe

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
They noticed. They just don't give a shit.

I'm having the same five minute shut down time. It takes nearly that amount of time to boot up to where the chams bar is operable.

I'm also getting an error message at every start up saying that a reboot was necessary do to some issue. And no mention of what the issue is either, idiots.

There's a few potential solutions provided here that I intend to try tomorrow.

I hate Windows now more than I ever did.

StoneWolfe

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
I couldn't wait.

Updating the Bluetooth driver fixed my issues. My five minutes shut down and start up times are now at about 15 seconds! Hell yeah.

I went to the search feature in the charms bar and typed in "Trouble" and clicked on the troubleshooting icon. From there I clicked on Action Center (bottom left) and under the maintenance dropdown it notified me of the Bluetooth driver issue. From there I was able to download and install the new driver. Worked like a charm.

No more error message on start up either.

Now I don't have to return my new laptop. Woo!

Windows, you guys still totally suck. Get your effing acts together.

louelle100

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014

you could of just refreshed your pc have done this many times and is very helpful!

is2daytuesday

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
My only answer is downgrading back to 8. After upgrading to 8.1 from pre-installed 8 the laptop slowed down to a crawl. 'Can not display the webpage' is ever-present. Never-mind re-boot/ start-up and shut-down-- I can barely connect to the Internet. System icons disappeared and my mouse is no longer detected.

I already went through all of this in October/ 2013, when 8.1 upgrade became available. The compatibility issues were so extreme that restoring back to pre-installed 8 was the only option. Against my better judgment someone convinced me that upgrading to 8.1 was a good idea- adding that the newest (April/2014) update to the 8.1 upgrade was amazing.

No. Not even. This laptop is barely functioning, now. Every update makes the situation worse. Who has time for this?! How many hours each day are we supposed to devote to troubleshooting all that's wrong with Microsoft Windows 8 and it's creepy, even glitchier upgrade, 8.1...?!

Some tech support agents are quick to point out how painfully slow my high-speed Internet is-- as if THAT is what's caused this. Really?! Because my backup laptop running Windows 7 is fine. Same high-speed, same everything. When this laptop was running 8 it was fine.

I wasn't happy with 8 due to the bugs but at least I could handle them. In the last 2 weeks (since upgrading to 8.1) this laptop has been use-able MAYBE 5 days total. Just the thought of the back-to-pre-installed-Windows 8-factory-settings/, full-throttle recovery (3 1/2+ hours), going through all of the Windows 8 updates all over again and trying to get this thing back to some semblance of functionality is going to require days but that's the only solution that makes sense to me.

Maybe those with pre-installed 8.1 have a different experience. But this laptop came with 8 and it's going back to 8.

bmwman91

Honorable
May 19, 2013
Sounds like doing an upgrade to 8.1 versus a clean install causes a lot of issues. I did a clean install when i went from 8 to 8.1 and while it involved backing things up and reinstalling programs, it went off with zero issues. This is on a 7+ year old Thinkpad (T61p) and all of the hardware works A-OK. Still feels fast & smooth. It's sort of been a general rule / common knowledge that you NEVER want to do an in-place upgrade with Windows...fresh install wins every time, despite requiring more time investment up front.

G

Had the same problem. However fixing the bluetooth driver solved it. Now my laptop turns off and boots up in about 20s (was taking upto 5 minutes before having solved this problem). :D:D. Followed StoneWolfe's procedure; though a bit differently. I searched for 'Control Panel' in the search option in the Charms toolbar. After opening the Control Panel, under 'System and Security', I clicked on 'Find and fix problems'. This opens the 'Troubleshooting' page which StoneWolfe was talking about. Then I clicked the 'Action Center' option in the bottom left corner, where in the Maintenance dropdown I was notified about the bluetooth driver problem. Solved it from there, and installed the new driver. It does work like a charm.

Luke Henderson

Reputable
May 2, 2014
I'm not sure if this helps, but I was having the same issue on my tablet pc. I opened msconfig from the run command, and booted the computer into safe mode with directory repair. Ever since doing that all sluggishness has gone, and my tablet is nice and zippy again. Give it a go and see if it helps :)

TRENDING THREADS