Windows became very slow after windows 8.1 update

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vezikon

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013
I updated my windows 8 last night to 8.1 .. my PC became very slow .. it's takes for ever to boot up and to shut down .. everything need to wait to work .. can anyone help me ?

hadamgb

Reputable
May 20, 2014

I have used Windows for decades but don't know what you mean by "directory repair," even after searching for this term? Are you talking about chkdsk, Active Directory restore, or what? Anyone else? Meanwhile I'll be trying the suggestions posted.

hlamp

Reputable
Nov 5, 2014
I decided to try all the solutions posted here, from the simplest on, but didn't need to get far. I reinstalled the video driver and it works like a charm. The computer was so slow after windows 8.1 upgrade, it was barely moving. When I tried to update the driver, it said I was using the latest driver and no update was needed. So I went to Dell support site, downloaded the driver, and reinstalled it. Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions.

carf

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
Sometimes that problem is because the correct hard drive is not on #1 boot device on your BIOS
Goto BIOS (F2 or delete)
Look into Bios Priority
If needed go to "Advanced Mode" - "Boot" - "Boot option Priorities"
Check on "Boot Option #1" if the correct hard drive is set
If your HD is not showing in "Boot Option #1" go to "Hard Drive BBS Priorities" and change the order
Save and Enjoy :)

imdaturd

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014
Not sure if the same issue, but my new HP laptop running Windows 8.1 was booting and shutting down very quickly since the day I bought it (about 3 months ago). One day, for unknown reasons, I hit the start button and it took a long time to boot = close to a full minute as opposed to the few seconds it was taking before. And when I clicked on "Shut down" to turn the computer off, it showed the "Shutting down..." screen and then went dark, like it normally does, but it hung up. After a few days I noticed something specific: if I closed the laptop after I clicked "Shut down" it would hang for about 3 - 5 minutes and eventually shut down. If I left the laptop open (display raised up), it would hang for 3 - 5 minutes and then boot itself back up.

How I fixed it: I opened a command prompt window as Administrator and ran: powercfg.exe/energy - that ran for about 1 minute or so and generated a report that it put at: C:\Windows\system32\energy-report.html - I opened that report and read the list of errors and such and saw that a bunch of them were "This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state" I then went to: Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Change when the computer sleeps\Change advanced power settings. When the box pops up, select: USB Settings\USB selective suspend setting - and set the 'Plugged in' value to "Disable." Then shut down.

THAT fixed my problem. I hope this helps someone!

PlumBlossom

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014

So which one doesn't need a credit card to use in order to sped it up..... my solution was to pawn my windows 8 and go back to a windows vista. Best money and time saver ever........ no wait Microsoft charges you a monthly subscription for full access to your OS. If you don't pay the monthly subscription fees you get a half assed slow windows microshit .

In what way do you have to pay a monthly subscription?

knightofsun123

Reputable
Mar 2, 2015
It will get slower cause you are putting a new Operating system which is 8.1 onto your old operating system which is 8.0. So when the computer boot up sequence starts, it first tries to boot up to windows 8. But you upgraded it. So the new codes in 8.1 stops that sequence and tell it to boot up from the 8.1 instead. Thus it turns out to be more steps. Also even though u upgraded, all the essential files for your old 8.0 OS still there.

proof please

JayneP

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
... how do lyou delete one user and create another one? I'm a senior citizen and just learning the ins and outs of my system. help!

memope64

Reputable
Apr 5, 2015
this Windows update totally sucks!! i hate it!! it makes everything slower, i have the Resident Evil 4 game, and now, after the update, became slower, and it doesn't take the whole screen, and the other apps are slower.

like 3 months ago, i updated my Windows, and because all the problems, i restarted my PC to W8 again.. i was happy until, 2 days ago, it told me that i had to update my PC, and i pressed the ''remind me later'' button, but then, after 1 day, there wasn't no ''remind me later'' button. there was no choice, i had to update that shit! and now i don't want to restart my PC again, all my apps will be lost! i hate you Windows 8.1

anony_mouse_34

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015

My system was very slow too. I updated my video driver (AMD R9 270) and that got things going again. Something in the update must have broken my previous driver.

Serpentz

Reputable
May 13, 2015
'

I'm a Microsoft Certified Professional. Your reply is null, void, and invalid...and slightly retarded. The problem lies somewhere else and apparently it has to do with drivers.

Lyon Fernandes

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
disable you anti virus, after a lot of trial and error, i figured out that after updating to 8.1 it somehow effects you installed anitvirus software, i disabled mine and its back to superspeed. i have quick heal anit virus i gonna email them for a solution, i recommend that everyone try this as well. hopefully it will work for you.

TRENDING THREADS