Windows blocks random outbound connections

chunky975

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
For some reason in the last couple months my computer has been acting up and things haven't been working correctly. For instance the backup and restore function just stopped working, it had been turned off in the registry for some reason and i have no idea why.

But i also have a big problem with windows allowing programs access to the internet. Many programs work fine, like Steam, browsers, Spotify, etc. but any application i just download (an installer for instance) is not allowed access to the internet. And many installers require additional packages to be downloaded so i then cannot install that program. Also things like download managers and also the Sky Go web application does not work because of the same outbound connection problems.

I have tried turning off all firewalls which does nothing, added exceptions, turned AV off, literally everything i could think of to try and get this working but nothing seems to help.
I really want to be able to install certain programs and also it would be great to use the sky go app so if anyone would be able to help me that would be amazing. I'll provide extra info if you ask for it

EDIT: Right after two minutes people seem to be jumping all aboard the virus train. Gonna explain some of what i said:
Download manager - SecureDownloadManager that i downloaded from my university to be able to download microsoft software.
No firewall - I disabled it to try and get the programs to work. It was broken before the firewall was disabled.
No AV - see above
Additional packages - go and download the Filezilla setup application. Turn off your internet and then try and install it.
I am an IT student, I'm very 'internet wise' when it comes to what websites/emails/downloads i should and shouldn't touch. I never download anything not official and on the rare occasion i do it is left for a week, scanned and run in sandboxie an million times. However, I may have a virus and plan on formatting anyway. But i would still like some other suggestions or tips other than "You definitely have a virus, you're screwed'

Solution
You may or may not have malware, but based on my own fairly extensive experience my advice is to reinstall Windows as I think you have some issues which will be difficult to resolve, or at least consume enough time that you might as well reinstall Windows. Normally I'd suggest an earlier Restore Point but that's not an option.

You do NOT have to re-download your Steam games if you can move the Steamapps folder elsewhere. Steam can rebuild provided you do the steps correctly: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

Something like THIS:
1. Move "SteamApps" folder to another drive/partition
2. Reinstall Windows
3. Install Steam (to C or a secondary drive)
4. Move Steamapps into new Steam folder
5. Start Steam...

chunky975

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

I am not 'maggotware' infested, i have done several scans and there are no problems. I'm doing IT at uni so I am well aware of what I should and should not interact with on the internet. I'm sensing you're a bit of a troll?

USAFRet

Titan

PC not acting correctly, security features turned off......that is my thought as well.

chunky975

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

see edit

I don't know how to give another answer. all I can say is I've known school teachers, college professors and some very well educated people....... I even have a few scraps of paper hanging somewhere........ eh, so what. I didn't learn anything until I left "book learning" behind and looked at what was real........... you might understand this some day............. Samuel Clemens once said.......... " don't let going to school interfere with your education"........ or something along those lines............ how true it is............ live and learn. good luck with your problem and if an answer arises print it here.

You may or may not have malware, but based on my own fairly extensive experience my advice is to reinstall Windows as I think you have some issues which will be difficult to resolve, or at least consume enough time that you might as well reinstall Windows. Normally I'd suggest an earlier Restore Point but that's not an option.

You do NOT have to re-download your Steam games if you can move the Steamapps folder elsewhere. Steam can rebuild provided you do the steps correctly: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

Something like THIS:
1. Move "SteamApps" folder to another drive/partition
2. Reinstall Windows
3. Install Steam (to C or a secondary drive)
4. Move Steamapps into new Steam folder
5. Start Steam (will rebuild some files quickly)
6. Verify game cache of each game before starting.

Reinstalling WINDOWS:
You'll want to plan this out carefully:

Pre-Install:
1. Write down programs to reinstall
2. Backup files, especially the "DOCUMENTS" folder (or just keep entire drive if installing to a different one)
3. Export any data such as Backup.pst for Outlook, if needed
4. Write down any passwords etc.
5. (BIOS' SATA to AHCI if installing SSD)
6. run MEMTEST if you haven't done so for one full pass ( www.memtest.org )
7. *Unhook all BUT the Windows drive you'll install to.

WINDOWS INSTALL:
1. Install Windows
2. Download and install motherboard MAIN CHIPSET, and other drivers/software from motherboard support site
3. Reinstall programs (you made a list)
4. Install Steam (sometimes to a 2nd partition or drive), and move Steamapps etc if needed
*Can copy most SAVE GAMES back; often stored somewhere in the Documents folder.

5. Setup fan profiles via motherboard control software (CPU/Case as applicable)
6. Install anti-virus software
7. Activate Windows
8. Create backup Image of C-Drive.

Cheers.

Solution

chunky975

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

I was uninstalling a bunch of programs i don't use and stumbled across a piece of 'bloatware' that came with my Asus computer when i got it almost 2 years ago. It was an asus program (i can't remember what, possibly the secure delete application) but as soon as i uninstalled it for some reason explorer crashed and i had to reboot. On reboot i discovered that a bunch of my preferences had been wiped and i had to re-enter them for a few programs. I fully regret uninstalling whatever that program was because it seems like it maybe acted like a middle man for some of my programs

chunky975

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

Thanks man, this will be a great help when i get round to reinstalling everything. I'm just realising that I am probably describing this terribly. Just by reading what I've written it even makes me think it's a virus, even though i am 90% it isn't. But I don't see any other kind of solution coming out so this'll do! thanks for everyone's help

I should have mentioned the FACTORY RESTORE option when I said reinstall Windows. The SAME basic steps apply (backup etc) however for pre-built laptops/desktops the main drive should have a HIDDEN partition with a backup Image of Windows.

If you do have the Factory Restore option, then follow the proper FUNCTION KEY, or boot method to initiate it. Your main partition will be WRITTEN OVER so be careful to have backed up anything critical.