[SOLVED] Windows blue restore screen after CPU MOBO RAM upgrade.

brad684

Distinguished
May 30, 2013
So I upgraded From a i5 8600k, z-390 mobo, gtx 1070TI, 16 gig Ram @ 3000. To i9 10900k, 1200 chip 490 ROG mobo, Gskill x2 16GB @3200 ram sticks, and a RTX 2080s. Everything started and posted and I picked my bios boot drive and restarted and now I'm in the blue screen loop. I have a small 128gig SSD with my windows on it with what I thought was a separate 15gig drive inside that SSD for booting and recovery. Also Another 500GB and . Any ideas would be much Appreciated. Putting the PC together and Choosing the Boot Drive is about the Extent of my knowledge of computer. Also Id like to point out the last time I upgraded all these things I had no problems booting from the same SSD.

Solution

brad684

Distinguished
May 30, 2013
maybe I should have added windows isn't reading my boot drive for whatever reason so its not recovering even if I wanted to. If a fresh install is the next logical step, how to do a fresh install if my ssd recovery isn't being read is the right question?

brad684

Distinguished
May 30, 2013
thanks for the info. So fresh install is the only way to get to the next step of diagnoses. What if I put the old hardware back in, is there something that I didn't do that could stop this from happening when upgrading? Don't have any of my stuff backed up so I'm just trying not to loose it if at all possible its only reason I ask.

USAFRet

Titan
Well you were dead on, created a bootable drive and now I have a fresh os install. Hopefully someone else with this problem will search this.
Changing hardware like that, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

You found #2.
A full reinstall is always recommended, often required.