Windows "Blue" Will Be Free Update to Windows 8, RT Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

portentous

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Having used Windows 8 since its beta release. It's definitely a better OS than 7. Sure the learning curve is there, I guess MS over-estimated the IQ of the general public (I blame Apple for that).
I am expecting an increase uptake of new laptop/PC towards the end of the year, with the release of Haswell and this re-tooled Windows8.1.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I'm currently using Windows Garbage... I mean Windows 8...
I have 2 big issues with it.
1) It takes too long to boot. (way longer than Windows 7)
2) It doesn't recognize Sound properly...
It has BIG problems with Sound Blaster Platinum FX, no matter which driver it sees ONLY Microsoft LAME drivers so I can't fully use my sound card, it takes a long boot and a restart
to be able to get sound.
According to my device manager I have 5 High Definition Sound Devices LOL
I know that 1 of them is the actual Sound card, ALL of them have the SAME LAME driver.
1 is my MONITOR, 1 is my HDTV, 1 is probably from my VIDEO card (although I never installed that driver either)
I had the exact SAME configuration on Windows 7 and I only had ONE NOT 5 "sound devices" .... so this issue is definitely a Windows 8 driver problem.
I hope that "windows 8.1" patches this issues.
There are other issues like some programs or games do NOT run unless I run as administrator.... which make no sense, but I can live with that.... but the 2 issues that I mentioned above are really annoying.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
@portentous
I think you are over estimating the advantages of windows 8, Its not that people aren't smart enough to learn how to use windows 8 its just that there is no point. Every time i have upgraded my OS there has been a reason behind it be it performance or better driver support. Windows 8 offers me nothing over windows 7, why should i bother learning a whole new OS for nothing? I'll just stick to windows 7 until i actually have a reason to upgrade.

ameera bates

Honorable
May 15, 2013
As someone who uses a tiny netbook, Windows 8 significantly faster than windows 7 in terms of startup and shut down. It's also faster in terms of internet browsing. Honestly, if you can work a smart phone, you can work a Windows 8 computer. It's really not difficult. However, the little edge in speed isn't really a reason to upgrade to Windows 8 unless you're like me and a tiny bit makes a huge difference. Also, I haven't had an audio issue with Windows 8. The only thing that's been a real pain is the resolution of my netbook not being compatible with Windows 8 apps. If it's really bothersome, just downscale the resolution. The image is a bit fuzzier, but you won't be bothered by incessant pop-ups saying that your resoution is too low to run an app. Hopefully, Windows Blue resolves this issue altogether. Regardless, I look forward to seeing the reviews on Windows Blue.
Btw, I don't really want to run the Windows 8 apps... I just really hate that pop-up when I try to open Chrome.

Tarl Dichari

Honorable
May 15, 2013
Windows 8 is snappier, faster and uses less resources than Windows 7. It boots quicker and shuts down faster than any other OS ever. I can not stand the Metro interface....so I installed one of the many START button programs and have been enjoying Windows 8 since it's release. It is a GOOD thing that MS is fixing the START button issue with the upcoming release. They should have allowed that option to be enabled from the get go. As too boot times. I use an SSD for the OS......but from the BIOS screen to the desktop for me, 9 seconds. :)

macpeteo

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
So, people who just want to "use" their computer to get work done and not be "GEEKS" about it are IGNORANT because MS is forcing them to relearn Windows all over again!!!? Is that how a reputable company is supposed to operate?! And to top it off, some of the reviewers here are blaming Apple for what "dumbing down" the customer?!!!!
Unbelievable!

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
a service pack by any other name.... service packs or updates add functionality and/or fix problems but still use the same software backone ... am i missing somehtign because as said this is just a service pack

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Considering how amazingly many copies if win8 they have really sold in used machines (not counting sold discounted copies to oem's that's still in a computer who haven't been sold just to raise the "sales number" for the sake of appearances) i'm sure this is world wide news... /yawn

DukeOvilla

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
There has seemed to be allot of debate over Windows 8, even though it's thus far just as successful as windows 7 (profit wise). Guys, if you take a look, without the metro stuff, it's like a faster, smoother, and more intelligent version of windows 7. Not to mention it's way lightweight in comparison. What's the big deal, it's almost I identical to Windows 7 when you put the start button back in with Start8, which only costs 5$.
My only issue with windows 8 is this, the Metro APPS suck. I'm ok with the UI. I uninstall all of those crappy full screen applications, and install ones worth their salt.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
drwho1 - I have a SB Premium FX and it works in Windows 8 flawlessly using the SB drivers. FYI I still have 2 computers on Windows 7 and both of them have the Premium FX too and they do in fact show more than 1 device and those work exactly the same as they do with Windows 8. On the boot time Windows 8 is faster no matter how you time it. You're the first I've seen to even suggest it's slower. On mine it's roughly 20% faster on the boot time. On the games etc. I have a large number of commercial games and *zero of them require running as admin. In this regard it's also identical to Windows 7. You seem to be in the great minority on these particular issues.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
[Having used Windows 8 since its beta release. It's definitely a better OS than 7. Sure the learning curve is there, I guess MS over-estimated the IQ of the general public (I blame Apple for that).]
Windows 8 is so advanced that even Microsoft themselves do not know how to write proper app for it. All heavy weight software from Microsoft still has to run in "desktop" mode, including MS Office, Visual Studio, SQL Server Manager etc. No wonder Windows store is so barren. This is indeed an OS at least 10 years ahead of its time!

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009

I think its more accurate that MS under-estimated the willingness of the general public to have crap shoved on them that was inappropriate for the desktop.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
"She said the updates will be made available through Windows Store to make the transition extremely simple and painless."

Wait a minute, does this mean that people will have to make a Microsoft account in order to be able to update ? Why not make this available from Windows update, you know, like every service pack ? This is the absolute minimum they can do, otherwise this is just Microsoft being low, very low.

They don't learn, do they ?

ameera bates

Honorable
May 15, 2013

You don't already have a Microsoft account? If you don't, then how do you log into your Windows 8 computer? Besides, if you have a Skype account, you have a Microsoft account.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
DrWho1, your 2 gripes are loading times and drivers for you old soundcard
Firstly Windows 8 is butter smooth and uses less system resources than Windows 7, although I don't doubt you are getting a slower boot I would venture the issue is related to your equipment rather than the OS itself as almost everyone else is getting faster boot times
Secondly, if you don't have a Windows 8 driver for your soundcard, please rsisit the urge to blame MS for this, creation of new drivers lies solely at the door of the hardware vendor
Irish_adam, there are plenty of improvement in Windows 8 over Windows 7, lots are under the hood and if those features are worth the $40 to somebody then that is reason enough. I appreciate the ReFS, smaller footprint, better memory management. While Metro is a love or hate thing, under the hood the improvements of Windows 8 are absolutely a must have. Especially the networking. Get Classic Shell or any of the other 30 or so free Start Menu replacements if you are unable to get past the Metro barrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.