Question Windows Boot Error 0xc00000e9, chkdsk unspecified errors

Jul 5, 2022
Everytime i try to boot my PC since yesterday i get the error 0xc00000e9, attempting recovery keeps failing. I was able to enter the recovery environment from a boot usb stick. However "Start-Up Repair couldn't repair your PC".
I ran scf /scannow using the cmd in SafeMode and now i attempted chkdsk e: /r (e: is my boot drive) but it failed during Stage 4.

"A disk read error occuredc000000e
detected in file 1793 of name .
An unspecified error occured (6e74667363686b2e b75)
An unspecified error occured (6e74667363686b2e 17b4)
Failed to transfer logged mesages to the event log with status 6."

So basically what does that mean, and how can i get acces over my pc/files back.

System: Windows 10, 8 Core 2. or 3. gen Ryzen, Booting from Samsung nvme SSD

Last edited:
1: kd> !error 0xc00000e9
Error code: (NTSTATUS) 0xc00000e9 (3221225705) - If an I/O error is returned which is not defined in the standard FsRtl filter, it is converted to the following error which is guaranteed to be in the filter. In this case information is lost, however, the filter correctly handles the exception.

1: kd> !error 0x6
Error code: (Win32) 0x6 (6) - The handle is invalid.

I would not use /r switch.

just chkdsk e; /f /v

(where e: is your drive partition that has the issue)
/v option will show ntfs cleanup messages if there are any.
for FAT system it will show all file names checked.
/v used to mean verbose mode I think.

as of windows 8.1 the windows system process does a background idle check of bad clusters on your drive. (you should not have to run /r)

I would guess the error code returned it due to the recovery environment having a older version of the storage controller driver installed. (can not be sure, just a guess)

you should provide details about the drive that is having the issue.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022
1: kd> !error 0xc00000e9
Error code: (NTSTATUS) 0xc00000e9 (3221225705) - If an I/O error is returned which is not defined in the standard FsRtl filter, it is converted to the following error which is guaranteed to be in the filter. In this case information is lost, however, the filter correctly handles the exception.

1: kd> !error 0x6
Error code: (Win32) 0x6 (6) - The handle is invalid.

I would not use /r switch.

just chkdsk e; /f /v

(where e: is your drive partition that has the issue)
/v option will show ntfs cleanup messages if there are any.
for FAT system it will show all file names checked.
/v used to mean verbose mode I think.

as of windows 8.1 the windows system process does a background idle check of bad clusters on your drive. (you should not have to run /r)

I would guess the error code returned it due to the recovery environment having a older version of the storage controller driver installed. (can not be sure, just a guess)

you should provide details about the drive that is having the issue.

Well im not sure where the issue is coming from but the Boot drive i use is a Samsung 970 pro 500GB nvme SSD. I checked a few months ago and it still had plenty of read and write cycles left. Tell me if you need anything else

I checked a few months ago and it still had plenty of read and write cycles left. Tell me if you need anything else
It can fail with plenty of write cycles left too.

Install another drive into your pc (ssd or hdd).
Boot from windows installation media and install windows onto newly connected drive.
Diagnose nvme drive with samsung magician.

Here example with failed drive:
2021-03-14-3.png