Question Windows boot files are on another drive ?

pops87

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2016
Hello,
Yes I made a mistake of installing Fresh Windows 8.1 on my SSD while I had other HDDs connected to my MB. Now I have 'boot' folder with windows files on another drive.
ySkMSgY.png

In disc management I have drive G:/ set to property "System" instead of C:/. I checked and I can't boot without drive G:/ connected. How bad is it? Can I fix this somehow without re-installing? I intend to change this HDD to newer in near future.
I didn't even have C:/ partition set to property 'active' but I added it. Now it looks like this (polish Rozruch=Startup; Zrzut awaryjny=Emergency dump/backup?):
x1gtfoV.png

Last edited:
You have to create bootloader partition manually now. Execute from elevated command prompt. Regular command prompt will give error on last step.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 1
(select 232GB partition)​
shrink desired=500
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs quick
active
assign letter=J
exit
bcdboot c:\windows /s J:

Now reboot and change boot priority to boot from 240GB drive.

pops87

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2016
Thanks for the help. I did that and I have boot files on J: but still if I disconnect the G: drive the windows wont boot so it's still booting from it? How do I make it boot from J:? I can see that disk 2 still has property "system". I think I need to move that property to disk 0 somehow.
Can I also disable the letter afterwards? I remember that previously Windows was making those 500mb partitions on C: drive and they didn't require to be assigned a letter.

imDeHqQ.jpg

uwoK5hM.jpg

Last edited:

pops87

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2016
Ehhh no luck. I disconnected all drives and it wont boot. I sued the command line also. It's probably because when I installed windows it for some unknown reason set this G: drive as system drive.

pops87

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2016
I dont have usb drives only usb hub with mouse, keyboard and controller. I've also disabled all of those boot options but #1 and it boots but when I unplug drive G: - it doesn't boot like always.

hsKhxqg.jpg

jQElRb0.png

Last edited: