[SOLVED] Windows Boot Manager as first boot option

Dec 3, 2019
So, I'm pretty sure I have this issue solved already, but I wanted to get a little confirmation that it's working like it should. As from a previous thread, I'd created an installation disc with the Windows Media Creation tool. I did this since I was switching from my dying HDD to a new SSD. Now, the installation went fine. This was way back in Jan/Feb, so don't ask for specifics since I won't remember. The install went fine and all was well, but then I ran into the issue where I would get a message to insert a bootable media and to press any key to continue. This perplexed me and I figured the SSD had locked up on me or that the motherboard (now 5 years old) was on its way out or something. I stuck to using my laptop and didn't touch the desktop till last night, because I'm moving into a different part of the house and I wanted to see if I needed to just store/recycle the desktop or if it was a fixable issue.

After some fiddling with the BIOS to make sure my settings were as I'd set them with the RAM and such, I noticed that before I would enter the BIOS I had a little menu pop up with different boot options. One of them is Windows Boot Manager, which has my SSD listed, then there's just the SSD by itself. I went into the boot options directly and set the Windows Boot Manager as the #1 option and now I boot directly to Windows 10 without any problems.

Considering this is a clean installation on a new drive with no other drives connected, I just wanted to make sure it's all fine and I don't need to do another clean installation or change something. I can grab more details off the BIOS if needed.

Essentially, do I just keep Windows Boot Manager as the primary boot option or do I need to actually go and do another clean install or fix something?

Dec 3, 2019
Yes, the WBM should be first in the boot order.

I thought so. I did a restart to check my BIOS settings. I have the SATA mode set to AHCI. I'm running it in Legacy+UEFI rather than plain UEFI, but that's an MSI setting where the BIOS auto-detects if it's a Legacy or UEFI setup, so I'm not messing with that. I'm mainly glad the SSD didn't lock up and that the motherboard didn't decide to just be on its way out.