Question Windows boot manager gone from bios after OS migration

mclemente0621

Reputable
Nov 19, 2016
I just replaced my SATA M.2 SSD with a Samsung 980 pro, I used Disk Genius to migrate the OS and at first it worked. BIOS recognized windows boot manager off the 980 pro, and windows booted successfully. After the first restart, windows boot manager is gone and I can no longer boot off of the 980. Here's everything I've tried so far to get it back, to no avail:
- startup repair, /chkdsk and /bootrec cmd commands in install media drive
-used AOMEI partition manager's "rebuild MBR" feature off the SATA SSD
-wiped the 980 and tried Disk Genius OS migration again, to the same result, one successful boot and windows boot manager is gone
-used "scan disk for errors" in drive properties
Every scan, check, or troubleshooter finds no errors.
Just want to see if anyone has any other ideas before I just wipe it again and put a fresh Windows install on it. Open to other free OS migration / disk clone softwares.
System info: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5 1500X, Gigabyte AX370-Gaming K3

mclemente0621

Reputable
Nov 19, 2016
did you unplug all other ssd/hdd for the first boot?
Funny you say that, because I just got done solving it and I think that's what it was. I wiped the drive again and tried the OS migration again but changed a setting so it booted into bios instead of normal restart when it completed, so I had a chance to take out the old boot drive before first boot. Calling it solved, got 3 restarts and full shut down + startup, still boots.