Windows boot with SSD question

Gezer

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I recently bought a SSD. I installed the SSD, it comes up as New Volume, while my C drive(HDD) comes up as Local Disk. Now my question is, does the primary OS on a system have to be the C drive? I installed Win7 on the SSD without problems, but when I boot my pc I get the boot manager to choose between the Win7 on the SSD and Win7 on the HDD. I don't want that to happen, I bought the SSD to have Windows on it. Can I just format the HDD? Will that wipe out Win7 on my hard drive and make my SSD the only boot option?

Gezer

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

He said to disconnect the hdd and install windows on the ssd. You say my pc won't start without the hdd?

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
(dingo is right if your a beginner follow my post below this, if you screw up with this program it could mean a re-install but the guide below is simple and a child could follow it)

ignore these people

download a program called easy bcd.

you can use it to boot to ssd and remove the entry for the hdd.

dont worry about these people saying it has your bootloader because that is rubbish

if you installed win7 on the ssd then it will have installed the bootloader onto the ssd

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

wasnt going to get them to do anything recklos

bassically all i was going to get him to do was

install easybcd

click "edit boot menu"

tick the box for default next to the one you want to use

then at the bottem click on "skip the boot menu then ok

personally i wouldnt like you to do any more than that as if you make a mistake it could be quite difficult to fix without the knowledge or re-installing windows

Gezer

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Thanks for the advice guys, sorry Shanky I followed the previous instruction before seeing yours. I unplugged the hdd and installed windows again via the dvd. The ssd is now the C drive. :)

Btw, when I have a new motherboard(next year Haswell cpu), can I just connect the SSD with Win7 on it and continue from there or does it require a new installation?