Windows boots in 7 seconds with a regular hard drive.

treter32

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016
I'm always told that with ssds you can boot windows in 7 seconds, but my western digital 1tb 7200 rpm drive already does that. Is that normal?

Solution
well he may have some fast boot installed some board manufactures like asrock offers that ?? mine boots up to desktop pretty quick with out all that though maybe a bit more then 7 sec, but not like I got to go get a cup of joe waiting on it to ...
then how many start up programs does it have to deal with ? windows sitting there trying to load up a bunch of unnecessary crap ?

ssd's been out for a long time but I yet to think one was necessary for me so far today . with todays prices on them I think I will try one out on my next hd buy just to give it a try and see .... so far a old platter drive does all I ask and does a good job of it if just not a lemon ...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The gap between HDDs and SSDs aren't as huge when comparing higher end HDDs to lower end SSDs.

7 seconds is a great boot time, regardless of HDD vs SSD.
If you've recently installed your OS, or have minimal startup programs etc, it'll always boot faster - especially with the right settings enabled in the BIOS.

I boot to Windows 10 from a Samsung 950 Pro PCIe M.2 drive in <10 seconds, and that's pretty respectable.

If you're getting 7 seconds from a mechanical drive - way to go! You might want to share your secret (if you know how you managed to achieve that kind of boot time), so others can maybe benefit.

treter32

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016

It says it passed both. The WD10EZEX Blue drive is my model. The os was installed in march. Thanks.

So when you press the power/on switch on your PC your system boots to your system's Desktop in seven (7) seconds using your WD WD10EZEX Blue HDD. Do I have that right?

It would be interesting to know the make/model of your motherboard and the total amount of data on your HDD.

well he may have some fast boot installed some board manufactures like asrock offers that ?? mine boots up to desktop pretty quick with out all that though maybe a bit more then 7 sec, but not like I got to go get a cup of joe waiting on it to ...
then how many start up programs does it have to deal with ? windows sitting there trying to load up a bunch of unnecessary crap ?

ssd's been out for a long time but I yet to think one was necessary for me so far today . with todays prices on them I think I will try one out on my next hd buy just to give it a try and see .... so far a old platter drive does all I ask and does a good job of it if just not a lemon ...

Solution