[SOLVED] Windows boots up but I cant access bios

Jan 17, 2022
Greetings, I recently built my pc
Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 5600G apu
16gb ram crucial
MSI B450M pro vdh-max
And at first it was working just fine, bios worked, windows ran perfectly, the only thing that bothered me was the message that told me the ram wasnt seating in the optimal spots (A2, B2) I had them on A1,B1 so I tried swapping the RAM to A2 B2. After I did that, the pc wouldnt boot up to the bios, and if I tried to do that it would just give me black screen. I tried reseating the ram to their original spots, made sure they were seating properly, after retrying with no success I tried resetting CMOS by placing a screwdriver in JBAT1, then tried removing the battery for then replacing it 5 minutes later. And here I am, my pc will get to windows 10 just fine but whenever I try to access bios by any means it will just give me black screen. Windows also recognizes both my ram sticks and I made sure they were seating properly, please help
Edit: solved the issue, turns out the power supplying cable was faulty and for some reason the pc couldnt display bios to the monitor because of it.

Last edited:
Solution
You may have secure boot set in the bios.
That will not let windows boot unless the boot device and settings are exactly as they were at windows installation time.

Fast boot is a related option that reads the windows contents from a file instead of loading individual components fresh, one by one. The file has the windows image from the last successful boot.
You probably want to disable this also.

You need to be able to completely shut down to be able to enter the bios and and disable secure boot.
A shortcut that may work is to hold down the shift key while pressing the shut down power tab.

If that does not work, go through the trouble shooting steps to get a full shutdown.
Greetings, I recently built my pc
Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 5600G apu
16gb ram crucial
MSI B450M pro vdh-max
And at first it was working just fine, bios worked, windows ran perfectly, the only thing that bothered me was the message that told me the ram wasnt seating in the optimal spots (A2, B2) I had them on A1,B1 so I tried swapping the RAM to A2 B2. After I did that, the pc wouldnt boot up to the bios, and if I tried to do that it would just give me black screen. I tried reseating the ram to their original spots, made sure they were seating properly, after retrying with no success I tried resetting CMOS by placing a screwdriver in JBAT1, then tried removing the battery for then replacing it 5 minutes later. And here I am, my pc will get to windows 10 just fine but whenever I try to access bios by any means it will just give me black screen. Windows also recognizes both my ram sticks and I made sure they were seating properly, please help
Do you have a dedicated GPU or just the integrated one?

Just integrated ones. And it was working fine when I first booted the computer
Oh ok, it's just I had an issue on mine, where the bios was outputted to a particular port. So I couldn't see it if the monitors were plugged in a certain way. Unfortunately you've already tried the next thing I would suggest which is resetting the CMOS. Very odd issue if it was working before, don't know what else to suggest.

How about turning off the PC and unplug the power cord from the wall. Then press the power button several times and finally keep it down for 15~30 seconds to drain any residual energy.

Now move the RAM sticks to slots A2/B2.

Plug back the power cord to the wall and turn the PC On. If everything works fine the PC will take longer than usual to boot up. Give it a minute or two. If it boot up try getting into the BIOS.

Jan 17, 2022
How about turning off the PC and unplug the power cord from the wall. Then press the power button several times and finally keep it down for 15~30 seconds to drain any residual energy.

Now move the RAM sticks to slots A2/B2.

Plug back the power cord to the wall and turn the PC On. If everything works fine the PC will take longer than usual to boot up. Give it a minute or two. If it boot up try getting into the BIOS.
First time I booted up the pc I could get to the bios no matter the position of the ram, im starting to think maybe it has something to do with the bios version? I'm lost right now dont know what to do. Btw, if I boot up the pc and click delete to enter bios I think it gets there but it just displays a blackscreen because the keyboard will work at that point if I do ctrl + alt + delete to restsrt the pc

First time I booted up the pc I could get to the bios no matter the position of the ram, im starting to think maybe it has something to do with the bios version? I'm lost right now dont know what to do. Btw, if I boot up the pc and click delete to enter bios I think it gets there but it just displays a blackscreen because the keyboard will work at that point if I do ctrl + alt + delete to restsrt the pc

Get into the BIOS witht he blackscreen, unplug the display cable, wait for 10 seconds and plug it again, see if the images if shown.

Are there any new BIOS version available for your motherboard on MSI site?

You may have secure boot set in the bios.
That will not let windows boot unless the boot device and settings are exactly as they were at windows installation time.

Fast boot is a related option that reads the windows contents from a file instead of loading individual components fresh, one by one. The file has the windows image from the last successful boot.
You probably want to disable this also.

You need to be able to completely shut down to be able to enter the bios and and disable secure boot.
A shortcut that may work is to hold down the shift key while pressing the shut down power tab.

If that does not work, go through the trouble shooting steps to get a full shutdown.

Solution