[SOLVED] Windows BSOD on startup and even after fixing, BSOD when computer is unplugged and plugged in.

Mar 28, 2022
Am helping a friend fix his computer. He said it was BSOD on bootup so I took it with me and ran Windows repair using a USB device. It booted up properly, so I took out my usb drive, tested it again, and it all booted up. Delivered the computer back to him and he said it BSOD on startup again.

I took it back, ran the repair and it worked fine. Unplugged it and plugged it back in, and it BSOD again.

Anybody know what might be going on?
It's an older computer, but it does have an SSD in it.

The two boot errors I saw were

PC/Device needs to be repaired.
Application or OS couldn't be loaded because required file is missing or contains errors.
File: \windows\system32\winload.efi
Error Code: 0x000000e

The Boot Configuration Data file doesn't contain valid information for an OS.
File: \BCD
Error Code: 0x0000098

Again, the windows repair does fix it and as long as it isn't unplugged, it works correctly. But as soon as I turn it off, unplug it and then plug it back in, it returns to the blue screen, making me think it's some sort of hardware issue.

Thanks for any help provided!

Solution
is it a laptop? if not, why does he unplug it? if it had Fast startup turned on, that can cause corruption of boot files if you unplug PC all the time. I generally have it off, it doesn't really help on ssd anyway.

Application or OS couldn't be loaded because required file is missing or contains errors.

these are both boot errors.

is there anything on PC he wants to save?

• on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type...

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Am helping a friend fix his computer. He said it was BSOD on bootup so I took it with me and ran Windows repair using a USB device. It booted up properly, so I took out my usb drive, tested it again, and it all booted up. Delivered the computer back to him and he said it BSOD on startup again.

I took it back, ran the repair and it worked fine. Unplugged it and plugged it back in, and it BSOD again.

Anybody know what might be going on?
It's an older computer, but it does have an SSD in it.

The two boot errors I saw were

Again, the windows repair does fix it and as long as it isn't unplugged, it works correctly. But as soon as I turn it off, unplug it and then plug it back in, it returns to the blue screen, making me think it's some sort of hardware issue.

Thanks for any help provided!
What type of SSD is it? It sounds like it keep getting corrupted. You might also try using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to make the flash drive bootable again. Afterwards, reinstall Windows 10. Instead of repairing the Window 10 install, try doing a fresh install which removes everything.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
We will need complete system specs and also what OS is it?
The OP said that they ran the Windows repair:
I took it with me and ran Windows repair using a USB device.

The OP also provided a file system structure that Windows uses:

This thread is also posted in the Windows 10 category. As well, the error codes are for the Windows operating system. I’d say it’s a good chance it is Windows 10.

Colif

Win 11 Master
is it a laptop? if not, why does he unplug it? if it had Fast startup turned on, that can cause corruption of boot files if you unplug PC all the time. I generally have it off, it doesn't really help on ssd anyway.

• choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

clean install probably best idea - follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

might want to do health scan on ssd as well

Solution
Mar 28, 2022

• choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd
clean install probably best idea - follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

might want to do health scan on ssd as well

Thanks for the replies. So, I think I should explain the "unplug".

The system was given to me by a friend to fix. I plugged it in, saw the blue screen error and ran the windows repair from a usb drive. When it was all working, I turned it off and unplugged it because it needed to go back to my friend.

However, when he plugged it in and turned it on, it was blue screen again. Weird. So of course, he had to unplug it to give it back to me.

I plugged it in, turned it on and saw the blue screen errors. Ran the repair, everything was good. So I went with a hunch. I turned it off and unplugged it. Then I plugged it back in and there was the blue screen errors again.

It is not a laptop and we're not unplugging it when it's on. It's just the simple act of unplugging it to return it to my friend showed that when it was unplugged, the blue screen came back.

I was trying to figure out why that might occur as I hadn't seen that happen before.

Also to note, after the Windows repair is run, Windows boots just fine and will continue to boot just fine. But since I can't give it back without unplugging it...

I could repair it at his place, but that's just a bandade and I'd rather figure out why it blue screens again in case there is a deeper problem.