Windows BSOD tried reinstalling windows but only worked when removing one of my ram.

JL4EC

Reputable
Jun 17, 2016
I have a 6500 cpu, Asus b150 motherboard, and 2x 8gb DDR4 memory.

I was playing a game when all of a sudden my system crashes and windows would not boot at all. It would be stuck at the Asus/Zotac screen stuck at preparing automatic repair.

I made a bootable windows 10 usb that took to the blue windows logo with black background but would not go further than that.

I read somewhere about memory being bad so I removed one of my ram sticks and windows began to install correctly.

After windows installed correctly I decided to reinstall the ram i removed into the A1B1 slot and wouldnt load. I then tried the A1A2 slot and wouldnt work again. Then I tried to load with only the ram I removed earlier and would give me the preparing automatic repair screen again.

I believe that the ram I removed has failed but the Bios can correctly read both ram sticks.

Is it possible that one of my ram sticks failed while I was using my computer? Do I have to purchase a new stick of ram? Is there any method to check if that ram stick is the only issue?

If anybody could help I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Solution
Yep, any component can go bad, and at anytime. Generally if they run the first 30-60 days they are in good shape and will last a long time, but can go at any time, power surges are notorious for taking out components

nuttynut

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2016
Running a memory diagnostic should give you some details. If it's not accessible from the BIOS, you can go into the Advanced startup options. If you were able to access the automatic repair, then you should be able to run the Memory Diagnostic Tool.

1) Yes. Bad RAM stick.

2) The BIOS identifies it exists, but it does not write then read the data back. That takes about 30 minutes for 8GB of memory so it's not going to do that.

3) You can RMA the memory kit. Warranty.

If you can return only one stick then do so. They suggest returning as a kit but I don't think they enforce it. While it IS a good idea (because they can slightly change timings) it's really not practical. Chances are you want have issues mixing a newer version of the same model and if you do there are ways to fix that if they both work independently.

JL4EC

Reputable
Jun 17, 2016
I ran memtest86 and cconfirmed one of my ram went bad. Is this possible? I have been using computers all my life and have never had ram go bad on me. I bought this computer used from someone who build it around 2-3 months ago. Both ram sticks are the same model but only one went bad. Can anybody help me understand why?