Windows build 1607 and Activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

USAFRet

Titan
So, the Anniversary release is out, and many people have updated their machines.

Interesting changes with activation and hardware changes.
Specifically, the Activation troubleshooter:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20527/windows-...

You must link your OS license with your MS account before you do this hardware change

To link your current Win 10 OS to a Microsoft account, see this:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

--------------------------------------------------------------
The following are some problems that the troubleshooter may fix:

You recently made a significant hardware change

If you recently made a significant hardware change to your device, such as replacing the motherboard, Windows might no longer be activated on your device.

If you linked your Microsoft account to your Windows 10 digital license on the device before you make the hardware change, you can reactivate Windows using your sign in info:

In the troubleshooter, select I changed hardware on this device recently, and then select Next.
Enter your Microsoft account and password, and then select Sign in. You’ll also need to enter the password for your local account if the Microsoft account you entered isn’t a connected account.
From the list of devices that are linked to your Microsoft account, select the device that you’re currently using, select the check box next to This is the device I’m using right now, and then select Activate.

If you don’t see the device you’re using in the list of results, make sure that you’re signed in using the same Microsoft account you linked to the Windows 10 digital license on your device.
----------------------------------------------------------------

So, it would seem that the license is no longer tied to the motherboard or other hardware, but to your MS account.
Upgrade to the anniversary release, link the install to a MS account, and change hardware as needed.
I have not tried this, but the above text seems to indicate that hardware changes are no longer a real issue.

Reactions: Wheel in the Sky

Wolfshadw

Titan
Just to make sure this point is known, you need to have your current system and Windows license tied to your Microsoft Account BEFORE you make the significant (motherboard) changes to your system.

-Wolf sends

USAFRet

Titan

Updated above

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is part of Windows Update, it may just restart itself.

Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) uses idle network bandwidth to perform prioritized, throttled, asynchronous file transfers. Windows Update, Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), and Systems Management Server use BITS to efficiently deliver software updates to clients. Windows Defender uses BITS when fetching signature updates, and Microsoft's instant messaging products use BITS to transfer files.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt703280.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

It may/will, but it doesn't mean it's not the cause of the problem. Stopping the service will provide an immediately noticeable difference if it is the problem though.

SpaceCowboy_1

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
I solved my problem with failure doing either the upgrade or a clean install. I am using an ASUS motherboard, i7 w/32 gigs of memory, one crash after another, 1511 build would install (Enterprise, Pro, Home) but not the 1607.

So, I removed all the memory except one 8 gig stick, ran the install from the same media, slid right on no problems, all updates installed, no blue screens works great.

After running 1607 for 4 hours straight no crashes, I shut the system down, reinstalled the last 24 gigs of memory so far so good, no more stop code NTFS.sys, Kernel Failure, or Memory Management crashes... Looks to me for some reason, the default system drivers just do not know how to handle anything over possibly 16 gigs during install (even though I used 8, I am stating that as a logical guess)... Never had any issues installing 1607 via Hyper-V off my Server 2016 Datacenter which, I was using to test the ISO and install media, that's when I noticed I was giving my virtual machines 8 gigs of memory which led me to give that a try in my workstation..... It's late and I am rambling, I will be contacting Microsoft via TechNet to ask this same question regarding "Start-up" memory as, I seriously doubt most user have 32 gigs of Memory in their PC's to begin with... Good Night

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can't find anything on max ram you can have in PC when you install win 10.

Win 10 Home 64bit can use 128gb ram
Win 10 Pro 64 bit can use 512gb ram.

Did you have latest BIOS as that could effect ram usage.
Memory management can be anything memory related, not just ram. NTFS is the file system. You might want to check out the hdd as well.

SpaceCowboy_1

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017

Look, I m not stating this or that regarding what Windows 10 limitations are or aren't... I am just remarking to my findings... I read on one of these threads someone stated loosening the retaining screws to the CPU heat sink resolved the issues, that seems absurd, what I am saying is that with this configuration I have, it would appear that the default code used during installation does not like to play nice with the amount of memory I had installed... Hence, if you are having problems with the upgrade or clean install try reconfiguring the hardware and see if that helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.