Windows Build Thursday Comes Early With Build 10240

Status
Not open for further replies.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
"Everyone is ready to move to Windows 10 and leave Windows 8/8.1 far behind. "
I don't think this is very accurate. Look at how many people are still using Win7 despite Win8 being an improvement over it.
Lots of people just can't accept change especially with rumours of a subscription model coming with Win10 down the road. Many people will keep with the old OS whilst wearing their tin foil hats instead just as they do now.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
While I like windows 7 The simple fact that they offered a free upgrade with no up front costs involved I think ill take them up on it. I am curious how it will play with my revo drive 3 though.

Jordan Nwokolo

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
:pfff: Another Tablet OS for a High School teenagers Huh?? and it probably based on subscription..Thanks but No Thanks M$,,As a professional user ,this windows 10 is not for me :(

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
I don't think this is very accurate. Look at how many people are still using Win7 despite Win8 being an improvement over it.
Lots of people just can't accept change especially with rumours of a subscription model coming with Win10 down the road. Many people will keep with the old OS whilst wearing their tin foil hats instead just as they do now.

I don't think it's about tin foil hats at all. Many people just don't like the Windows 8/8.1 experience, and are still happy using Windows 7, and that's all there is to it.

Agreed. Windows 10 is way better than windows 8, where as windows 8 was ok compared to windows 7. The majority of users I believe will be windows 7 and 10 users.

hannibal

Distinguished
win 7 has 6 years lifetime left... after that there is not much to chose from.
I really hope that steam os will break the bank, but the "Linux will be the big hit" in near future has been around several years. And even now it has less than 1% of os markets...
I have been using win8 several years from now, and it has been a good ride. It works well, and so on. The movement from older windows was not a easy one and it did take time to get used, but now the movement to win10 from win8 is no brainer.
The harder part is to those who use win7. Do you move to Linux and lose game support (at least partly) or move to win10... Hard choise...

codo

Honorable
May 5, 2012
7=XP to me now in my eyes. 8 has been great aside from all the ignorant people who refuse to change or learn anything, 10 looks nice but I'm interested to see if the issues I've been having with the preview (mostly performance) are just related to the computer its running on

Just because it's newer, doesn't make it better. Windows 8/8.1 is a heavily butchered operating system, that tries to marry a touch screen interface with an interface designed for a high precision pointing device(mouse). Touchscreens are inherently a low precision pointing device, they require large buttons and so windows 8 forces the user into full screen applications which take over the entire operating system until you exit those applications. That defeats the purpose of "WINDOWS".

Everytime you try to do something, it always pops up the metro UI in your face, which is far less efficient than the start button. A list text view is very efficient and quick to find programs. Icons are far less efficient and slow trying to scroll and find what you want. That's why a single desktop with icons works, you know exactly where your program is, you're not trying to find it. But scrolling through a screen of icons doesn't work, you have to locate it and it take too much more time than a simple list text.

Windows 8 was an abomination, everyone hates it unless you're on a tablet PC. It tries to add touchscreen features which heavily dominate the OS and no longer makes it "WINDOWS". This is fine for people using touchscreens, but garbage for people with a high precision pointing device(mouse) and no touch screen.

People that tout how great windows 8 is and say the rest of use are stupid, backwards and refuse to learn, are simply morons. They can't see how windows 8 does nothing better than windows 7, other than a few OS updates like directx and things like that(which could have been done for windows 7), but as for the UI, it's only better for people with touchscreens, and simply worse and less efficient for people without. It also in may ways, defeats the purpose of "WINDOWS" when parts of the UI dominate and take over the screen.

It's not about learning it, the OS is simply crap. I'm forced to use it on my laptop because it came with it. I know how to use everything, and where to find what i need, just like i do for windows 7. But on my desktop PC, i have windows 7 and i still find it far more efficient and quicker to use. Less clicks, faster to find things, and easier to use when you have a mouse.

egmccann

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010

Please think before being insulting.

1. Many businesses *just* got over to Windows 7. I do tech support supporting multiple companies that support a *lot* (thousands) of Long Term Care facilities. Some of these are *still* running XP (since they use Citrix, not as big a deal) and are slowly going over to Windows 7 based machines (using a standard image.) They're not running 8, other than a few oddball machines, for support and economic reasons. Eventually (5 years or so,) most will probably be running 10. Businesses have a *lot* of machines and generally are slow to update, since they have important programs that *must* work. 8's interface meant retraining, both staff and users. That means money. Businesses tend to hate spending money.

2. Thanks to the economy, *users* aren't updating - on top of 8's vastly different interface. The machines just keep doing what they've been doing (Web browsing, emailing, playing Angry Bird Crushville Saga) and *they* don't want to update.

3. And yes, some of us *can* accept change, thankyouverymuch, but *greatly disliked* the changes brought with Windows 8, flipping back and forth between Metro and the desktop and so forth. The only place 8 (8.1 now) exists on my network is in a virtual machine... specifically so I can mess with it for the few people I need to support who have it. I've given it a chance since the early 8 dev previews. It's had years to grow on me. It hasn't. 10's interface is generally an improvement. No "tinfoil hats" needed. Just like I don't like jalapeno poppers while others love it, I don't like 8's interface and have been waiting for MS to fix it.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
So much hate for Win 8 / 8.1 and mostly because it doesn`t have a start menu ... Don`t tell me it`s for other reasons because this is why 99% of the haters don`t use Win 8/8.1

I find start screen very useful since you have everything that you want in front of you, no menu scrolling no nothing, it`s just there, you click it and then you`re back to the desktop ! That simple.

MS now is smart by forcing DX12 on Win 10 only, they try to make Win 10 an crossplatform unification OS PC/Talbets/Phones, to do this they have to force the stubborn ones from Win7 to this. Boo hoo, no old start menu style grandpa! I remember the cries of Win 98 supporters back then when XP came.

Also Linux is a total joke to the average user, the complexity of command lines for isntalling different stuff on that OS with not so great stability on certain hardware (oh boy should i have stayed away from Linux on my Laptop) Until they ditch the dumb command line installations they will never get ground, see android.. no command lines, everybody loves it.

Metro ui sucks, period. You have all the stuff you need right on your desktop. All your most commonly used programs, at exactly the location you left them. You can delete the shortcuts you don't often use for a very clutter free desktop. Metro UI is always cluttered with too many programs shown at once. If you want to find a program, you either start typing in search or scroll endlessly for the program you want, which is less efficient compared to a simple text list. Metro UI and every application built for it also takes over the entire screen and defeats the purpose of "WINDOWS". I simply like having multiple windows up at one time. I don't need a program to dominate my entire screen for 1 task.

Everyone knows what windows 8 was trying to accomplish, they wanted to make the OS more user friendly for touchscreens(low precision). We get that, the problem is, it was too intrusive on the normal desktop interface which uses a high precision pointed device(the mosue). That's why everyone hates it, and in many ways it's less efficient to do simple tasks, takes more clicks and more mouse movement.

I also love linux, the command line interface doesn't bother me and i use it for work sometimes. My desktop is dual bootable to ubuntu.

Windows 8 was simply a bastardized hybrid operating system which tries to satisfy desktop/laptop users and tablet pc's at the same time, making both compromise in some way. Why compromise when i can just stick with windows 7??? Which has very little bugs, runs all my programs well, is 64bit, and does everything i need with no fuss???

Newer is not always better, windows 8 is proof of that. For a desktop user, it takes people back a few steps and is less efficient in the user experience.

Dual-booting Windows 7 and 10 will be a perfect scenario. That way, you can run older games on a more compatible OS with less compatibility bugs and frustrations. If you have Windows 7, you could keep it and buy Windows 10. Or if you have Windows 8.1, upgrade it to Windows 10 and buy Windows 7. This will create a "Windows 7 mode" type scenario in case you run into compatibility and performance issues on a new OS.

True, though windows 10 already supports nearly everything windows 7 supports. Plus you can get a 3rd party start menu if you don't like the new one.

This isn't the issue for me. The issue with windows 8 is that it's a fully touchscreen optimized interface being shoved down the throats of people trying to use it as a desktop with a mouse.

The upper management of microsoft should be punched in the face for this. Making an interface for touchscreens is fine, but it shouldn't impede too much on the desktop experience with a high precision mouse.

3hunna

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
In my opinion Windows 8.1 was better than Windows 7 as 8.1 booted up faster , shut down faster , transfer rate was faster , it consumed less ram & supported dx11.2 as far as for the start problem I got startisback & it shut off those metro tiles made it optional if I want to go to that start & it booted me directly to the desktop

Hi,

I'm not looking forward to Windows 10 and I have W8.1.

Why?

I love Windows 8.1 because I got the Start Menu back (Start8) but also use the "Metro" interface to organize less-used programs as a shortcuts page.

So I boot to the traditional DESKTOP complete with Start Menu (pretty much identical to W7) and have a shortcuts screen I access ONLY when I want it. PERFECT for me.

*W10 changes the way the W8 UI screen works so I can't do this the same way. I believe i have to use their new Start Menu then expand it to full screen to look at my organized list of shortcuts.

NOT IDEAL for me.

(I do think this is the best general solution, however I certainly disagree with the "everyone" wanting to leave W8 behind. I should note I think he meant only W8 users in that comment.)

Giroro

Splendid
I don't think Microsoft understands just how many people won't be able to find the internet, now that the browser no longer has "internet" in the title.

I will very much be glad that I don't work tech support for a company of baby boomer employees that is transitioning to Windows 10.

hannibal

Distinguished
I think that Start8 already support win10, so you can use your 3rd part start up menu, if you want to. So no worry, there. I also like the old style Start8 a lot, so I will first look how win10 works out and if I am not satisfied with the start menu, I will move to Start10 or what ever that old style start up menu is called at that time!

Yep, Start10 is what it's called. However it's still $5, so I wonder if classic chell will add windows 10 if not already.

DyingCrow

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
I don't think Microsoft understands just how many people won't be able to find the internet, now that the browser no longer has "internet" in the title.

I will very much be glad that I don't work tech support for a company of baby boomer employees that is transitioning to Windows 10.

This made me lol hard :D
-------------------------------------
I'm actually going to push my Company to upgrade to Windows 10, for several reasons:
- Consolidation. Supporting the mob of Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8 computers is a terrible pain in the arse. There never was an easy way to upgrade computers scattered all over the US to the same (W7) OS and ditch XP for good, because they need them as they are, with custom software and peripherals. Some people have Surface Pro with 8 to add. I created a remote reimaging solution on a flash drive that i could send out to upgrade XP's, but it never moved forward. There would always be downtime for field users that, in most circumstances, would not be reasonably acceptable.
- Licensing. VLSC is a convoluted pain. Constantly fighting MS over getting more licenses due to computers being reimaged is not my idea of fun. We will be getting new computers with Windows 10 licenses on it, using those licenses is a no brainer.
- Stability. So far, even running 10 upgraded over and over with multiple versions of the preview on the fast ring (should be a pretty damn good mess right?) i've been having way less trouble then i ever had with 7 or 8(.1).
- Performance. I've tried the preview on old Lenovo laptops with only 2GB ram (dual cores T61, T500, SL510), which we still have a ton (and they're not going away till they fry), and it runs better then 7 or 8.

If after 6 years i still have to deal with the fact that i have users with Windows XP computers out there, it's to be expected that i will have users with Windows 7 6 years from now, and because MS is offering such an easy way to upgrade Windows 7, i'd be hard pressed to pass on it.

I enjoyed using the previews since the first build came out, watching it mature, and i honestly thing that MS got it right this time.

That is okay, but my problem is that I like using the "METRO" interface which I can currently in W8 just click the link in the Taskbar and go to. That's all organized nicely like "Media editors" or "Office" with tiles.

In Windows 10 you only see a similar window if you first go to the Start Menu and EXPAND it which I think also keeps the taskbar. (Or use Tablet mode which locks you to the interface)

I am using the W10 Preview so I know how it works (on W8 right now). Maybe it's not a big deal and I'll just get used to it. Probably. Maybe Start10 or similar will allow a link to the Metro style interface so it's identical to what I have now.

(Gaming pretty much necessitates I move to W10 at some point for DX12)

Status
Not open for further replies.