[SOLVED] Windows Button

May 20, 2020
Hello,

I have a fairly new PC that is a ‘custom build’ from a computer shop. It runs Win10. The first few months it was flawless. Now when the PC is turned on it acts like the Windows Button is being held down. If the unit is restarted or woke up there is no problem.
I am on my 4th keyboard. (2 Logitech K120, a Dell and now a brand new wireless Microsoft)
Swapped which USB port keyboard is plugged into.
Reinstalled windows.
Turned off stickey keys.
Had Microsoft tech support twice try to help. Suggested reinstall windows and new keyboard.
Tomorrow it will go back to the store if the issue can’t be resolved. This is an annoying last resort as the wife uses it with the kids for their Covid home schooling and we won’t have it for a while.
I have tried to read through as many other posts as possible in an effort to not waste anyone’s time.
Is there anything else I could try?
Thank you!!

Solution
Update
The ConnectPro UR-12+ was the culprit. Foolishly I didn't consider the obvious fact that having the USB portion of my wireless mouse plugged into my KVM switch would affect the keyboard...
It has been moved to the tower and the problem has been resolved.
Thanks for the help and maybe this can help someone else too.

kapsey

Reputable
Jul 15, 2017
It seems this is a very persistent software issue, not a hardware one. A permanent fix would be disabling the Windows key.

You can do it yourself manually by editing the registry according to this guide. Please keep in mind that you can damage Windows if you aren't careful when messing with the registry, so do this at your own risk.

The guide also links a .reg download that will disable it for you. Personally, I'm skeptical of the safety of those files, so I would recommend doing it manually. Either way, you're doing this at your own risk.

May 20, 2020
Update
The ConnectPro UR-12+ was the culprit. Foolishly I didn't consider the obvious fact that having the USB portion of my wireless mouse plugged into my KVM switch would affect the keyboard...
It has been moved to the tower and the problem has been resolved.
Thanks for the help and maybe this can help someone else too.

Solution