[SOLVED] Windows Can No longer Update

Spiderkeys

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2015
Ok. here what happened, A while ago I attempted to run Disk Cleanup, because I noticed about 10GIG was used up on my C: Drive, and soas expected it found 10GIG of update files and I performed the Disk Cleanup.

Problem was the task took Forever, so I ended up forcefully cancelling it. I didn't regain any space, Disk Cleanup no longer finds any old update files, if I run disk cleanup again, and now Windows 10 constantly nags me to update but when I try to ,I get a message of problems were found, so I click on the Fix Issues button and then get the message "This PC can't run Windows 10". "Windows can't be installed because this PC has an unsupported disk for UEFI firmware", which I can't believe because it had no problems updating in the past.

I tried deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder and the catroot2 folder, it didn't help. I also to ran the Windows Update troubleshooter, it claims all are issues are fixed now and try doing the task your were doing before. but, same problem nothing, and eventually same error. I also just tried a chkdsk and no problem there.

So here I am stuck like 10Gig has vanished from my SSD, and cannot update my OS any longer, any ideas and where and can this lost 10GIG be?

Solution
My standard advice, in virtually all cases, (and presuming any potential infection has already been addressed, first) is trying the following, in the order specified. If the issue is fixed by option one then there's no need to go further. Stop whenever your issue is fixed:

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

3. Doing a completely clean reinstall (options a & b are downloadable PDF files):

a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File

b)...

Colif

Win 11 Master
which version of win 10 are you on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current is 1903

Do you have an ssd or hdd? deleting 10gb of tiny files could take a while on a hdd, so would expect it to be slow.

if its a hdd, have you tried a defrag?

funny getting the error "This PC can't run Windows 10". "Windows can't be installed because this PC has an unsupported disk for UEFI firmware" when you clearly in win 10 when you get it.

If sfc finds corruption it can't fix
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
copy/paste this command into the window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

you could run system restore to a date prior to changes

Spiderkeys

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2015
For version I can't translate this but if I type VER in the command prompt, it says 10.0.17134.950, but I'm presuming I'm still on 1902 as windows nags from time to time in me in the system tray to upgrade to 1903 which It can't do.

And its a SSD, with windows 10 installed on a 60GIG partition. the other Partition is Windows 7.

I can only presume the Upgrade problem started when I forcefully quit disk cleanup when it was supposely cleaning up old update files, because the progress bar wouldn't move and there appeared to be no disk activity either, after waiting nearly an hour.

I executed the SFC /SCANNOW Command from the command prompt and when it finally finished it did say in the lines off it did find corruption but it couldn't fix all files. details are in the %windir%/logs/cbs.log file. So i'll try your Powershell command suggestion, and hope for the best.

Unfortunately to save disk space I've disabled System Restore, so that suggestion is out of the question.

D

Deleted member 14196

For version I can't translate this but if I type VER in the command prompt, it says 10.0.17134.950, but I'm presuming I'm still on 1902 as windows nags from time to time in me in the system tray to upgrade to 1903 which It can't do.

And its a SSD, with windows 10 installed on a 60GIG partition. the other Partition is Windows 7.

I can only presume the Upgrade problem started when I forcefully quit disk cleanup when it was supposely cleaning up old update files, because the progress bar wouldn't move and there appeared to be no disk activity either, after waiting nearly an hour.

I executed the SFC /SCANNOW Command from the command prompt and when it finally finished it did say in the lines off it did find corruption but it couldn't fix all files. details are in the %windir%/logs/cbs.log file. So i'll try your Powershell command suggestion, and hope for the best.

Unfortunately to save disk space I've disabled System Restore, so that suggestion is out of the question.
Nope, you are on the last one. 1903 is 10.0.18362

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
My standard advice, in virtually all cases, (and presuming any potential infection has already been addressed, first) is trying the following, in the order specified. If the issue is fixed by option one then there's no need to go further. Stop whenever your issue is fixed:

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

3. Doing a completely clean reinstall (options a & b are downloadable PDF files):

a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File

b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive

c) How to do a CLEAN Installation of Windows 10 (Tom’s Hardware Forums, with screen shots)

I never choose the “thermonuclear option,” the completely clean reinstall, until it's clear that this is the only viable option. I hate having to go through all the work of reconfiguring a machine from scratch if that can reasonably and safely be avoided.

--------------------------

You get your Windows version, build, and edition information using the winver command.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master

You are on 1803. Hopefully second command won't ask for source as it is difficult as the source needs to be a copy of the ISO and unless you have the installer for 1803, you not going to be able to do it.
If it fixes it, you might be okay

If not, option 3 above might be only way to get the update if windows is giving odd messages. Its likely that restarting pc while its running clean up of update files is why the updater is messed up now. You have no idea what it was doing when you restarted it. It was only inactive only the surface

60gb really isn't enough for in 10 going forward. It will want more space on the clean drive as win 10 now reserves space for updates. So you might appear to have less space after a clean install but its to make sure you never get into a situation where you cannot update cause you don't have enough space. You might want to think about getting a new ssd or reducing size of win 7 part if its bigger

Personally, I would download Windows 10 1903 from here....
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
For your system, you can put it on a flash drive or just download it or put it on a flash drive (depending on how much space you have). Either way, just make sure you start the process from within Windows.

This should fix the issues you have shared here, and should also allow you to run a proper disk cleanup again).